Re: Welsh county names in R6

Hi

Does anyone know if there are plans to return to the correct names for Unitary Authorities that were in R2002 (preferably in Welsh to distinguish them from the VC names) but are incorrect in R6? If there are, when are they likely to be implemented?

I am using R6.10.4.120

Cheers, Ian

Hi Ian

This should be fixed as part of the next dictionary update - we plan to test and release this after we have released the 6.10 CD's.

Kind regards,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Hi Sarah

That's good news. I shall look forward to that Dictionary upgrade for at least a couple of reasons now.

The change leads to a request. Currently, in R6 existing names are not updated to the new ones (that is what applies with species names, so I guess it will apply to the change in County names). Will it be possible to develop a macro in which the user can choose the variable and the entry for that variable to look for and then the replacement name? Examples for me would be:

Taxon Common Name: Reed Warbler     to  Eurasian Reed Warbler
Welsh UA name: Abercolwyn and Conwy      to   Conwy

This would enable users to update their databases if they wish so that reports are produced with just one entry per Taxon Common Name and per UA, rather than as currently with the Taxon Common Name where reports contain both old and new names. This is equivalent to an Edit, Search and Replace function.

Cheers, Ian

Hi Ian

There has been previous requests for the ability easily update 'batches' of records - I am right in thinking that essentially your request is to be able to re-determine records (so in essense adding a new determination for multiple occurrences and flagging this as the preferred determination)?

Just incase you're not aware of it, there is an existing facility in R6 whereby you can add your own names for things such as locations or taxa, and select to display these names in the observation hierarchy etc. - though I'm not entirely sure how this is displayed when reporting.

Does any other users add their own names and use them in this way?

Kind regards,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Hi Sarah

I'm not sure that I fully understand the language that you have used. What I do wish to do is:

Change from some species names that were in the RSPB checklist that was available in R2002, to the new names (where there is a change) that are in the BOU Checklist of 2006. This means, for example, that there will be many records currently recorded as 'Reed Warbler' that I would like to change to the new name 'Eurasian Reed Warbler'.

I have read that there is a means of altering names to suit my personal preferences, though they cannot be exported. I have to bear in mind that somebody may wish to continue to record bird species using R6 or its successor(s) so I wish the species names to be changed in proper way that the database recognises and keeps permanently.

Did what you said mean what I have just tried to explain? If true, then my answer is 'Yes'.

Cheers, Ian

Hi Ian

Sorry my previous post wasn't very clear.

Yes, when I was talking about adding your own names to taxa, this would just be for personal preference and these would not exported.

So what you are looking for is a way of permanently changing a batch of records and being able to export them. You could potentially achieve this two ways, but one method isn't really appropriate:

Solution 1: Users being able to permanently change the common names of taxa on the checklists themselves.

This would not be appropriate for a number of reasons, for example;
i) This would mean the common names associated with each checklist would not be as the original list providers specified
ii) This would lead to Recorder 6 users having many different copies of the same dictionary - which would be impossible to update en masse, cause complications with sharing data etc.

Solution 2 (much more preferable): Users being able to add new determinations to a batch of species records within the database. For example;

Originally a record of 'Reed Warbler' was added to the database using the RSPB list - this has one determination of 'Reed Warbler' (flagged as preferred).

You would then add an additional determination of 'Eurasian Reed Warbler' using the BOU list, which could be flagged as the preferred determination. The record would now have 2 determinations, the 'original' determination of 'Reed Warbler', and a new, preferred determination of 'Eurasian Reed Warbler'.

As the 'Eurasian Reed Warbler' is the preferred determination, it would be this species name that would be shown in the observation hierarchy and in reports etc. When this record is exported, the two determinations would go with it. The advantages of this would be;

i) We do not change the dictionary itself
ii) You keep information on what was originally recorded - in this case you just want the new name, but if you felt a species was wrongly identified it's important to keep the original identification - you could add a comment to the new determination to say 'new determination added as new common name preferable to old one'.

Hope that makes sense :) but please let me know if it doesn't!

Many thanks,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Hi Sarah

Your solution 2 is what I wish to achieve, but how can I do that for all Reed Warblers to be changed to Eurasian Reed Warbler? Please give some details of how to do this!

Thanks in anticipation,

Cheers, Ian

Hi Ian

Solution 2 would be a feature request.

There is nothing available within the Recorder 6 interface at present to edit and add batches (rather than single) records - but this does seem to be a general requirement of the user community (there are previous discussions dotted around the forum).

I'll ensure your specific request to add determinations is added to these.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Hi Sarah

Thanks, Ian

Hi Ian

Just wanted to add...

I believe there is potential to do this sort of adding/editing through XML reports - perhaps John from Dorset Software could confirm what can and can't be done via XML reports.

The other option would be the development of an addin to add/edit multiple records.

Kind regards,

Sarah
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
JNCC

Hi Sarah & Ian,

Yes, an XML Report could be written to provide the capability to add a determination to all records for a given species as you suggest. The only problem with XML Reports for this sort of thing at the moment is that you don't have a decent level of control over who can run such a powerful tool. One way around this is to keep any bulk update reports in a secure network folder that only certain people have access to, then when you need to use a report you have to click the ... button on the Report browser window and navigate to the secured folder to load the report.

Kind Regards

John

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Hi John

If such a report could be written, how likely is it that it will be written adn when could it be available? I've seen other postings that have shown there are synonyms for other taxa than just birds, and presumably other recorders would like to be able to synchronise all their records so that they comply with the latest information from the people who research and revise taxonomic lists.

Hopefully, Ian