1 (edited by Darwyn Sumner (LERC) 04-06-2007 15:52:06)

Re: Best practice in data-sharing

Various members of our East Midlands LRC and related initiatives are about to debate "best practice in data-sharing collation, analysis and dissemination protocols and structures".
If these debates take place within a culture that is either anti-Recorder or unaware of the technical fundamentals of the data-sharing/exchanging mechanisms that are implemented in both Recorder and MapMate there is some risk that these will be ignored in such debates with the prospect of a rather grim outcome in which we share using methods which do not support these mechanisms (i.e. using spreadsheets for evermore and having to hand check for duplicates until the sun grows cold)
I find that these principles are explained sufficiently in Copp's data model and Stuart Ball's explanations (e.g. in Recorder's Help menu under "Data transfer") and in MapMate's material but nowhere can I find a single paper expressed in "executive summary" style which would explain these concepts to our non-technical managers.

Is anyone aware of such a document?
Has anyone produced such a thing for use within their own organisation?
Can the NBN put one together as a really useful informative brochure to save us for ever having to explain why spreadsheets are not a useful alternative?

Great idea Darwyn, this is something I often find myself having to explain. It would be great if the NBN could produce such a document.

Charles

Charles Roper
Digital Development Manager | Field Studies Council
http://www.field-studies-council.org | https://twitter.com/charlesroper | https://twitter.com/fsc_digital

3 (edited by oliverg 08-06-2007 10:30:52)

I agree that a technical document setting out current best practice advice would be useful for anyone looking at ways to share data through a small group or the wider NBN community. There probably are some key principles burried in technical documents that could be promoted, and NBN could play a part in this. This needs to be considered by one of the NBN working groups, probably the data standards and tools group, to sound out the issues and options.

An important point I would like us not to forget is that data-sharing collation, analysis and dissemination protocols and structures are not all technical in nature. Recoding and database software do not manage data flow relationships, permissions, metadata or decisions on applying data access and use restrictions. The NBN Trust has produced a lot of documentation and advice on issue decision-making and management.

I would be interested in something that draws together and provides an executive overview of current best practice and advice for both the technical and decision--making issues associated with "data-sharing collation, analysis and dissemination protocols and structures". I would suggest that the online NBN Handbook (http://www.nbn.org.uk/handbook) is a suitable place for this. The intention is to repackage this as online NBN advice and support as part of the project to integrate the NBN Trust website and Gateway website.

Oliver

NBN Data Access Officer

Tel.  01924 334527
Mob. 0777 0444 726

I should add that Oliver and I are working closely together on a whole bunch of issues related to Data Standards and Tools.
As a member of a subset (the subset concerned with Tools and Standards) of the NBN's "National Schemes & Societies" steering group (chaired by Amy Coyte of BCT) I recently presented a number of "needs" on the NSS's behalf to the NBN, resulting in their reconvening their own Data Standards and Tools group.
I came up with a number of observations which are of concern to the broader biological recording community (e.g. the need for GIS standards, better metadata standards (to meet our needs to manage objects and documents as well as geospatial datasets), to re-establish MapMate/Recorder communications etc.).
The NBN, through Oliver, are now drawing up a broad document which should indicate the range of areas where standards and tools are needed by the biological recording community.
This is a large can of worms but it can be seen from the example above and from various responses that there is a need for such things.
Do please share your ideas and observations with us.