Re: Species list web service

Hi all,
We're investigating the possibility of using NBN Gateway web services to generate reserve species lists on the Scottish Wildlife Trust website - a separate list for each reserve.  I was wondering whether anyone had done something similar themselves?  If so, we'd be really interested in hearing any comments about the experience - did it work well, was it difficult to set up, etc.  It would also be really useful to see an example - does anyone know of any websites that use the species list web service?

Thanks for your help,
Lindsay

Lindsay Bamforth
Biodiversity Data Analyst
Scottish Wildlife Trust

Hi Lindsay,

You might be interested in this: http://www.merseysidebiobank.org.uk/ws/livesites.php, my first attempt at integrating NBN services into our website, if it looks like the kind of thing you might like to do (or an aspect of it) i am happy to provide info/code.

I should stress it is my first attempt! and on starting this i had no experience of php or javascript and little of general web design, so it is very much a work under regular improvement, though may be useful to you as a starting point.

A few points to note, the sites list on the left is populated from an NBN query so for this aspect to work you would need your sites to be available on the Gateway. However, it would also be possible to set it up to use polygons you define (from your own GIS for example), and i am currently working on a new project that uses user defined polygons drawn on an interactive google map (if you like i can show you the current working bones, but it is currently very un-friendly!)

Selecting a site will produce a taxon group list then selecting a group will produce a species list, these lists are produced with queries using the site boundary so creating site specific species lists (what you're looking for?).

A species selection then shows a 1k distribution in the local area and provides links to the species on other websites (ARKive/Wikipedia).

If it times out be persistent with it, our server is a bit slow and i think i have tried to do too much!

Natural History & Biodiversity Data Enthusiast

Hi,

Thank you very much for your post.  It's certainly along the lines of what I has in mind.  It's really useful to see an example of what can be done, and also reassuring that you started with no experience of php or javascript!  I'll have a proper look and discuss with my colleagues then I'm sure we'll have lots of questions for you..!

Thanks again :)
Lindsay

Lindsay Bamforth
Biodiversity Data Analyst
Scottish Wildlife Trust

I've just had a go with these web service things and I've set up a page http://www.e-dat.info/osnbn.aspx which sort of integrates the NBN web one site web service with the OS OpenSpace API. Do read the 'A Rough Guide' directly below the map before you start, otherwise things might well not go to plan...

Hope it's of some help

Iain