Re: Species dictionary updated

Hello

The species dictionary used by the NBN Record Cleaner has been updated to use the latest version of the NHM species dictionary

This dictionary can be downloaded using the software updates available link on the Data Load form. On using the NBN Record Cleaner the species dictionary should then automatically update with an "updating species dictionary" message before the dataset is validated. If not then it can be forced to update by downloading one of the ID difficulty rules available from the rule categories link on the Data Load form.

New or fresh installs of the NBN Record Cleaner also requires this updated dictionary to be downloaded using the software updates.

Best wishes

Graham

Unfortunately, the record cleaner now rejects all lichen records as having an unknown taxon version key.

Giving up on lichen work, I tried instead to use it to check some vascular plant data. That meant downloading the BSBI rules, but the option to update the selected rules is now greyed out so I can't do that either.

Pity, it was a very useful tool!

Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

Hello Janet

Before updating the species list I checked it worked on all taxonversionkeys in the NHM species dictionary including all lichen taxonversionkeys so they should be there! My guess is that this may be an issue with the use of the NBN Record Cleaner with Windows 7 and I would suggest doing a fresh install to see if this corrects the problem. Before doing so please read my post on using NBN Record Cleaner with Windows 7 - http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=12868#p12868. Once re-installed make sure you run the tool using administrator rights, before updating the species dictionary. I hope this is the problem, let me know if it persists.

Best wishes

Graham