Re: Setting up satellite recorders

I have had a couple of requests from Devon Wildlife Trust's Nature Reserves team, and one of DWT's Local Groups to be set up as Satellite Recorders.  How do I do this?  Do I install a copy of Recorder onto their machines using our site ID etc, or do they have to have their own copy?

We are currently using Recorder 2002, but will upgrade to Recorder 6 sometime soon.  Should I wait until we have upgraded before setting up the satellites, or will it be easy to upgrade them?

Ellie
Eleanor Bremner
Senior Records Centre Officer
Devon Biodiversity Records Centre
Devon Wildlife Trust
Tel: 01392 279244
Fax: 01392 433221

Re: Setting up satellite recorders

Your satellites will need their own copy of Recorder 2002/Recorder 6 with their own Site Id. If they installed the system using yours then when you exchanged data the imported data would probably overwrite data in the receiving system as many keys will be present in both systems. The keys of all user added data in Recorder are 16 characters - the first 8 characters being the Site Id of the system to which they were input. Thus for data exchange to work correctly each Site Id must only be used for one installation.

When people enquire about buying a copy of Recorder I recommend they buy Recorder 6 provided their PC(s) are powerful enough to run it. However, if you are not using it, it will be a little more difficult for you to support them. The user interface is very similar, particularly for data entry, but there are a lot of enhancements in Recorder 6, e.g. in reporting and the import wizard. Recorder 6 also contains additional lists in the taxon dictionary.

I will send you some more information on Recorder 6 to help with your decision making.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687