Re: Importing INTO Recorder 3

Hi,

I don't suppose this sort of question comes up too often now!

We have been given a number of data files by a local recorder, but I'm having real difficulties in viewing them. The file names are REV53000 to 53007.LK and .OV. There is also a REVMEDIA.LK and REVMEDIA.OV. We now have a copy of Recorder 3 (3.2), which I have installed and which runs fine under Windows XP, however, the AREV update to 3.3 refuses to run, even with the memory options favourably set. Typing AREV INSTALL just brings up the splash screen and shows you the C:\ prompt again.

I've tried copying the files into the 'data' directory, but they aren't picked up by Recorder (I didn't hold out much hope for that approach but it was worth a try!).

So, my questions are...

1) How do I get Recorder 3 to recognise these files?

2) How do I get the upgrade to work? Even if I can get the data into Recorder 3 initially, I understand it needs to be upgraded to 3.4 before I can get it out of there and into R2002.

Any help gratefully received.

Tim

Hi Tim

I'm afraid I can't help you with your questions, however there is a Recorder 3 group now at http://www.mailspaces.com/spaces/recorder3/ that may be able to help you.

The group is free but you need to register - just a thought if you'd not tried there yet.

Kind regards,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Thanks, I've posted a message there.

If anyone else here has any ideas, I'm all ears!

Tim

Late last year I tried to install Recorder 3 for someone. I installed Recorder 3.2 but couldn’t get the upgrade to 3.3 to work.

I was doing it on my desktop where I have expanded memory enabled. The first part - upgrading AREV - seemed to work despite running it in a DOS box. I couldn't get my desktop to start in DOS. It is running Windows XP Professional version 5.1 Service Pack 2. The second part (upgrading Recorder 3 itself) - running the TCL command RUN DOS A: UPDATE - produced the following message:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
Advanced Revelation 3.0
An application has attempted to directly access the hard disc, which cannot be supported. This may cause the application to function incorrectly. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

The other option to 'Close' was 'Ignore'. I tried both but could not get any further. I also tried copying the upgrade files to the hard disc and running it from there but that didn't work either.

Is this the problem you encountered Tim? I am wondering if this is a Windows XP problem as I managed to install 3.2 and upgrade to 3.3 when I was still using Windows 98. Can anyone provide more information on this theory?

Because Recorder 3 doesn’t have any Registry entries the whole system (the Recorder folder) can be copied from one PC to another and it can be run without problems provided you can set up an appropriate PIF to run it (I have the instructions for this). You don’t need to install it. This works fine if the Recorder 3 folder is on the C: drive on both PCs. If the Recorder 3 folder was on a server drive you need to modify it to run on the C: drive – Stuart Ball provided the instructions for this several years ago.

I am puzzled by the file names you mention. All the \Recorder\Data folders I have contain 40-50 files called REV20000.LK/.OV to REV20051.LK/.OV and REVMEDIA.LK/.OV not REV530….

Could you get the whole Recorder folder for the system? Is it Recorder 3.3 or 3.2? If it is Recorder 3.3 I could give you the instructions for getting it to run. To transfer the data to Recorder 2002 or Recorder 6 you will need to know how to use Recorder 3. The instructions provided by Stuart Ball (JNCC) are very good but do not provide much help with the corruptions and other problems that are often present in old systems, and they assume knowledge of Recorder 3. I have done transfers from Recorder 3.2 but getting the data into Recorder 3.4 in order to do a transfer is more complicated.

Mike Weideli and I are still doing Recorder 3 to Recorder 2002/Recorder 6 data transfers. If you would like a quote, please let me know. Alternatively I could provide you with some support. I charge £30 per hour plus expenses for this type of support although expenses are usually only incurred for site visits.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

Hi Sally,

No, the AREV install won't run at all. There is no error message, just a credits screen and back to the C:\> prompt. I may have to look into getting the whole folder, but at the moment all I have are the files (definitely starting REV53....). If I open them in Notepad, amongst the jumbled binary stuff you can see the odd piece of text from the record, so there's definitely something there.

Is it possible that this isn't actually Recorder data, and is actually from another AREV database? The recorder who gave us the data was given it by someone else, so we know very little about it at all!

Tim

sallyrankin wrote:

I am wondering if this is a Windows XP problem as I managed to install 3.2 and upgrade to 3.3 when I was still using Windows 98. Can anyone provide more information on this theory?

Could this be to do with the fact that the later version of Windows don't have a true DOS environment. I understand it's "simulated" to look like the old DOS prompt, but the command shell CMD.EXE is very different. (It's 32-bit for a start). Windows 98 runs on top of DOS.

Just for information, I use Recorder 3 in a DOS emulator (dosemu) under Linux. There is a version which comes with FreeDOS pre-packaged and once installed Recorder 3 runs fine.

Cheers.

Dave Cope,
Biodiversity Technology Officer,
Biodiversity Information Service for Powys and Brecon Beacons National Park.

Tim

If you use Notepad to look at the REVMEDIA.LK file, this will give you a translation among the hieroglyphics, of the REVnnnnn filenames to the names given by the original provider in the export process.  If one of the files is EXPORT_CONTROL, it will originate from the Recorder Import/Export process that came with Recorder 3.3.  If EXPORT_CONTROL is not listed as one of the files, the files will contain copies of records in the orginal provider's Recorder and I can provide further instructions on how to get them into your current copy if you need them, although knowing the version of the original RECORDER may be useful.

Alison Stewart
Environmental Database Manager
Dorset Environmental Records Centre

Alison Stewart
Dorset Environmental Records Centre