Re: Error message EOLeException: Cannot open database

I am a new user of Recorder 6 which was installed for me by IBM IT Support as I am not allowed to load software or updates directly onto my Natural England notebook. I think when it was installed back in July it opened OK but I am only now finding time to work on setting it up and beginning a project to transferr records from a old card index to Recorder. I now get this message when trying to open Recorder.

'EOLeException: Cannot open database requested in login "NBNData" requested by the login. The login failed.'

I have contacted IBM IT helpdesk and the first chap was unable to help - he has forwarded my query on to someone else for further investigation. I may have problem getting in-depth technical support as Recorder is not in the IBM approved software catalogue.

I see Ian mentioned this error message in a posting back in July but I am unclear exactly how this was resolved.
The OS is Vista and looking at the programme system files on my C drive there is a folder called SQL Express.
Do I also need Access as I don't think this was loaded on my notebook when I first received it earlier this year ?

Cheers

Christine Orchard
NE Derbyshire Dales

Try right clicking on he icon and choosing run as administrator.  Let  us know if this doesn't help.  Do you know which version of Recorder was installed for you.  You don't need Access on the machine to run Recorder.

Mike Weideli

Thanks for your prompt response Mike.

I have already tried 'run as administrator' but I don't think I have sufficient 'privileges'. It is a stand-alone notebook but there are NE restrictions - only IBM can make changes/upgrades to software.

Recorder version is v6.15.4 with additional upgrade files to v6.16.2. The SQL version is 2005 Express 9.0.4035.0

Christine Orchard
NE Derbyshire Dales NNR

It looks like you might not have sufficient permissions  to open SQL Server. Although, if this is the case, it is difficult to undertstand why it ever worked.  Was some change made subsequently - ie was the database moved to a differnt location or was your user name changed ?  All I can think of  is that you suggest to your support that the problem could be that you do not have permission to access the instance of SQLServer. This may mean more to them than a problem with Recorder. Installation on  Vista is fairly robust with version 6.15.4  of R6.  We can try and help whoever is looking at this for you, but with your limited permissions it is going to be difficult to help you directly.

Mike Weideli

I will pass on your comments about access to the SQL Server. There have not been any changes as far as I am aware. I am now working from home using VPN instead of logging on via an NE office network but I cannot see that making any difference. The Recorder and SQL files were downloaded onto my notebook C drive 'remotely'. If I continue to be told that support is unavailaIble I will try to find out if anyone else at NE has had a similar experience. Do you know if Richard Alexander is still involved with the Recorder User Group ? It does seem strange that Recorder is not on the 'approved' software list as I thought EN/NE were involved with NCC/JNCC et al. in the original development.

Christine Orchard
NE Derbyshire Dales NNR