Re: Reporting on Common Names

We would like to trial a new approach to allocating Common Names to table Index_Taxon_Name. If you would like to help the necessary files can be downloaded from

http://forums.nbn.org.uk/uploads.php?file=RevisedCommonNameFiles.zip

SQL Mangagement  Studio will be needed to implement the change. A method of reverting back to the existing approach is included. 

Please unzip the files and read the text file for details on how to proceed.  The changes will only affect reporting and are designed to give  more consistent results for common names as well as adding common names to many more  taxa.  The changes are based on processing the existing data in a different way and will not correct Dictionary errors.

Once implemented the changes will reflect in normal reporting or specific reports can be run to investigate the effect on particular taxa.  What we need to know is whether  or not you think overall the new approach gives better results. If there are anomalies in the results please post them on the forum. If they are the result of the new approach  rather than Dictionary issues then it may be possible to fine tune the queries. 

Mike Weideli
Recorder 6 Consortium

Mike Weideli

Happy to have a go Mike, but have been unable to open the "Notes on population  the Taxon Common Name table.odt" file in its current format.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

Well I have run the SQL apparently successfully, although there was a error message abount being unable to drop the table #CN as the table did not exist.

I will let you know how it goes.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

OK Mike, my first impressions are not good and I am about to undo the changes. The reason being that it seems to have started using older and less relevant common names in a number of cases. I don't have a problem with Felwort instead of Autumn Gentian (although many people wouldn't recognise the former) but I don't want to see Wild Hyacinth in place of Bluebell. I haven't taken the time to investigate why these particular results came out as they did, but for now I prefer the old way.

If I get time to do any detailed investigation I will let you know what I find out.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Thanks Rob

I have  investigate and made some changes. I think the problem was mainly with the implementation and not with the approach. The new files are at

The explanation paper is now an .rtf file so everyone should be able to open it. I have also included an Excel file  which lists the changes.

Mike

Mike Weideli

Sorry Mike, that file is still odt, not rtf

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Rob

Sorry. Hope I have it right this time. The excel file which is now included show what has changed (based on  Dictionary release Q). If desired this can be used to review the changes without the need to actually update Recorder.

Mike Weideli

Mike

Having reimplemented your changes most things now look as they should (to my eye). There is however one glaring inconsistency which keeps annoying me. Recorder now reports records of Common Bent (Agrostis stolonifera) a very common grass species with the common name fiorin, which as far as I can tell is a very old name indeed and one which I had never encountered before.

I have tracked it down to the recorder 3.3 dictionary (surprise surprise), but when I try to edit the taxon details to put in the more familar common name (as I have with several other taxa successfully) I am informed that "You cannot edit this taxon. The rank sequence of its parent is lower or equal to the rank sequence position of its children. Therefore there are no valid ranks that can be selected. Please correct the rank of the parent and/or children first."

Any idea what this means?

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Rob

I have had a look at this and I can't see where fiorin is coming from. It is used in a number of lists as the common name for  Agrostis stolonifera and other Agrostis species. However, the Recommended common name always seems to come out as Common Bent. Can you give me an example of a Taxon_List_Item key which is reporting with  Recommended Common name of  fiorin.

Mike

Mike Weideli

Ah, I see a possible source of confusion here. I may not be talking about the recommended common name. The particular instance I have seen most recently is of a record entered recently, but apparently against the Recorder 3.3 list (we try not to use this list now, but it was entered using an older recording card). The TLIK is NBNSYS0000066313

As you suggest, reports supplying the recommended common name produce the correct result Creeping Bent, although after I installed the previous version of your changes they were returning Fiorin. So that much is fixed.

However in the observations hierarchy the record is listed as Fiorin (Agrostis stolonifera) and this is a new behaviour as far as I can tell. Also in the edit taxon details window, taxon names tab, the "use standard common name" checkbox is ticked and gives Fiorin as the standard name.

However I am a botanist and have been recording this species in probably the majority of my surveys for the last 15 years, for the last two or three years using Recorder 6 and for the preceding 12 years using Recorder 3.3, it seems unlikely that I would have failed to notice the name Fiorin before now had it been Recorder 3.3 standard. In fact I have just opened up a copy of Recorder 3.3, almost untouched since the day I installed Recorder 6 and it does indeed list both common names for Agrostis stolonifera, but crucially Creeping Bent is at the top of the list. I'm pretty sure Rec 3.3 would have used order of appearance as order of preference.

I appreciate that you haven't done anything to change the lists, but it looks like something in the way the content of the lists is reported in the Rec 6 UI has changed recently.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Yes it will be, because that is the name on the R3.3 list as far as R6 is concerned. I suspect that  in the conversion from R3.3 to R6 only one name was picked up. It  should  be possible with the query we use to pick up the Recommended Common Name in all situations. . I haven't done this, because I was concerned that those users who just use one list, would expect to get the common name from that list and not elsewhere.  This would, however, just apply to recommended list, so it might be Ok to apply the recommended common name to all lists which are not recommended.  I will adjust the query to see what the effect of this would be.

Mike Weideli

12 (edited by RobLarge 25-11-2011 09:26:14)

No Mike, that is not the case. I have a standalone copy of R6 to which I have not applied your changes and it reports Creeping Bent correctly. I am sure that the behaviour I describe above is a consequence of applying your script. But just to prove it I am going to undo the changes now to see what happens.

...And I can now confirm that, I have applied your restore script and the common name in the R3.3 list is now reporting correctly as Creeping Bent throughout the UI.

This suggests that whichever method you are using to select the actual common name (as opposed to the recommended one) from a list, is the wrong one, at least in this instance.

Going to leave things as they are for a while and try to determine which state I prefer.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Thank you for your work on this. The reason why we wanted someone to look at it is to see what problems changing the approach would have.  Anomalies like this one are just what we needed to know about.   

You are right, both the common names are in the R3 list. The problem I have is that where this occurs there is no way of knowing which one is the best. I have just chosen the one with the lowest key on the basis that this went in first so is probably the best one. Changing to picking up the highest key  would fix this particular  issues, but may cause problems elsewhere.  The reason it works with current orginal dictionary is more by luck than judgement.

However, as I said in my previous email there is no reason why we can't pick up the Common Name from the recommended list. This could either be done for all lists or just for the non- preferred lists. 

Mike

Mike Weideli

R3.3 clearly had a mechanism for determining which was the preferred common name. What we need to establish is whether the export routine used to get the data ready for R6 took this into account and how R6 handled the import of that data I guess. I wonder if Stuart Ball could be of assistance here?

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

I will check with JNCC. It looks like both names have ben brought over from R3.3, but because R6 has no place to store the information I think it has been lost. In fact there are only 992 instances in the dictionary where a species has mutiple common names within a list. Changing the query to pick up the maximum TLI key in these cases resolves the 'fiorin' issue and doesn't seem to do any harm elsewhere.

Mike Weideli

OK that seems to work fine at least for the various examples I have noted so far. I will let you know if I come across any other discrepancies.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Sorry Mike, I have undone the changes again, there are just too many inconsistencies in the R3 list and we have too much data entered against that list. I have reverted to the original again.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Rob. Thanks for your help on this. I will take another look at this just in case, but  I suspect the R3.3 has multiple common name possibilities on a number of taxa.  I had always appreciated that while the new approach would fix some of the issues, especially with reporting on Recommended Common Name it might cause problems elsewhere, which seems to be the case.  Unfortunately,  if we can't get there with changing the queries, then we aren't going to be able to do anything with this without holding additional data. As things currently stand I doubt if this is something which is likely to happen.

Mike Weideli