Re: Simple question regarding number of grid squares a species is found

Hi forum :),

I have a very simple question.

I want to know how many 10km grid squares a species has been recorded in on the NBN without having to count them all manually.

The help and wiki sections do not appear to have instructions on how to obtain this information.

I would be very grateful if someone were able to tell me how to do this.

Many thanks in advance.

Hello

You can get a list of tenkm squares for species records currently on the NBN Gateway. In the homepage search on the required species, select Grid map for records in the species results page and then select require datasets you wish to use from the list under the map. After refreshing the map under the resulting grid map click "download squares" which should take you to excel spreadsheet with the tenkm squares.

There is one caveat to this in that squares are only included for datasets that provide download access, datasets not providing download access are excluded. The count may therefore underestimate the total number of tenkm squares present on the map

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

Many thanks Graham, this is very useful!

Very interesting, I didn't know about this before.

Would it be possible to present this on the page, rather than requiring a download? Well rather than the list of 10k squares some information saying "There are records for this species in 126 10k squares". Would this then be able to include records where downlaod access was not available, as you would not be providing the actual data? Might it also be possible to subdivide- i.e. 120 GB squares & 30 Irish squares, also a date filter - 82 squares since 1990?

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust

This doesn't actually work as quite as well as I thought. If records come from more than one dataset then the table of 10k squares can include duplicates e.g. Ectemnius lituratus returns 344 rows, althought there are only 286 distinct grid squares. Also if you change the resolution of the query to 1k and download squares you still get a list of 10k squares.

Gordon Barker
National Trust

Hello,

Was this issue ever resolved/addressed?

It would be extremely useful to view the number of 10x10km squares a species is present in.

Alan

You can download a list of 10km squares that a species exists in, as long as you have access to the records. Go to the Grid Map page from any taxon page and there is a download button for the 10km list

Matt Debont
Application Developer
Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Monkstone House, City Road, Peterborough PE1 1JY, UK

Seems to work ok now - I now get 317 10km squares with no duplicates for the same query, and it now states that you only get 10km squares.

Gordon Barker
National Trust

Thanks very much for the responses. The method suggested does work, and the level of detail is really excellent.

Although, having to download almost 200 individual species results/records did take time.
I wonder if it would be possible to display the number of hectads on each species/genus page rather than downloading the full record?