Re: Species distribution

Bit head in the clouds really, but i was wondering if it would be possible in the future to link to the NBN services - single species search, to produce an embedded map/'link to' a species when pulled up through the taxon dictionary?

Reason being R6 is often used here (local record centre) by volunteers (as i am sure it is elsewhere) to find valid scientific names, however they can sometimes pick things that may be slightly dubious or questionable. It would be very useful for them to be able to see straight off that a species has not been recorded in our area or is very rarely recorded.

Alternatively, it may be just as useful to be able to do the same thing but using the in-house data base, e.g. a quick link for a point map of all currently held records of that species?

Natural History & Biodiversity Data Enthusiast

Ben

You may wish to have a quick word with Luck and Eric over at rECOrd.

We have a Data Portal which allows users (inc. me) to search for species names; to pull all records up for the named species;  to bring records up from the rECOrd main database and from the NBN Gateway; to map just the rECOrd data, just the NBN data or both together (different coloured dots for each dataset); to zoom into or out-of the map; and to click each dot to see underlying detail.

To me, this sounds like just the tool you need.  Do have a talk to them !!

Cheers and take care.

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Hi Ben
There is a link at the bottom of the Taxon Dictionary's details pane to the NBN search page for the species name, from where you can also link to the distribution maps and so forth for the species. Are you hoping to see an NBN grid map embedded into the taxon dictionary details pane itself? The other thing to be aware of is if you are running the taxon dictionary alongside the map window, you can simply drag a species onto the map to see the distribution. I can see that a "Send to Map" button would make this slightly more obvious though.
Best wishes

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Well that's my "things you never knew about Recorder" sorted for the day. I think a "send to map" right click option would make that feature a little less hidden!

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

Hi Teresa,
I agree, I've added this to our issue tracking system for future reference though at the moment the available funds will be focused on improvements to the installation & taxon dictionary as well as urgent bugs.
Best wishes

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Thanks for the responses! It does seem the function was there all along, i suppose one day i should actually sit down and read though the manual properly!

Also thanks Steve, that does sounds very interesting especially with the ability to map both NBN and LRC data, i suppose it really comes down to what is easiest and most user friendly for the volunteers to use.

Thanks again

Natural History & Biodiversity Data Enthusiast