Re: Can I download the complete species dictionary

This seems a pretty obvious request so my apologies if I'm being dumb but I've been looking all round the NBN site and the dedicated Species Dictionary site and I can't seem to find a complete species dictionary for download anywhere.

I've found lots of great functionality for returning *subsets* of the species dictionary filtered by pretty much anything, but all I want is a spreadsheet (or CSV) including the following four fields for all of the species commonly found in the British Isles.

- taxonVersionKey
- CommonName
- ScientificName
- taxonReportingCategoryKey

At the moment the only way I can see of getting this data is performing multiple requests against the Species List web service for a bunch of different locations and then aggregating the results but I'm sure there's a better way than this?

So, any help or pointers gratefully received ... :D

Re: Can I download the complete species dictionary

Hello

There is no complete species dictionary download available I am aware of. The NBN species dictionary is used by the NBN Gateway and exposed through the NBN web services. Recorder 6 recording software package also uses the NBN species dictionary. One other way would be to approach the NBN species dictionary manager at the National History Museum directly.(speciesdictionary@nhm.ac.uk). The species dictionary web site is currently being updated, due for release later on this year

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer