Re: Vice County Boundaries overlay for Garmin devices

Hi,

I'm a long-time lurker.

Its just been brought to my attention that the VC boundaries formerly distributed on a CD are now licensed under the same terms as OS OpenData. For a couple of years now I have been creating a transparent overlay from these boundaries for my own Garmin etrex GPS. The original license terms made me reluctant to think about re-distributing these overlays.

If people think they could use such an overlay, I would be happy to a) describe how to do it yourself and b) place the file somewhere for download. The process makes use of a number of open source tools, but particularly mkgmap (see http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/. This should work with most Garmin devices which display a map (etrex, Oregon, 60 series).

Similar overlays can be created from other datasets (e.g., those of Natural England), but many of these still appear to have quite restricted licenses which allow private use but prevent re-distribution.

Regards,

Jerry Clough

If the licence change is correct (I don't know either way) then I think many recorders would be grateful to be able to just download the file. e.g. See this thread over on the Wild About Britain forum. We could host the file on the Alerc website, as long as there aren't any licencing issues, assuming the NBN don't want to host it themselves.

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

It inspired me thanks for a project I was doing at home - you're responsible for me downloading quantum GIS, which I was very impressed by. That reminds me I must go back to it, I left it half-finished...

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)