Re: Ordnance Survey data – people’s views

Hi everyone,

Given that Ordnance Survey’s OpenData initiative has been going for over a year now, I was wondering what people’s general feelings were towards the accessibility of OS data?  The idea of OS OpenData is certainly welcome, but do these open datasets meet the main needs of the biological recording (and wider conservation) community?  Do people feel that the most useful maps are unavailable to them due to cost, licensing or other restrictions?

From my own experience and having spoken to a number of colleagues in passing, I get the feeling that there are still significant barriers preventing charities, groups and recording schemes from accessing and utilising the most relevant mapping for their work.

How do others feel about this though?  Is there a problem?  Is there work going on out there to improve access?  Would people support a combined effort to engage with OS/Government to secure a better deal for our ‘sector’?

I'd be really interested to hear what experiences and views people had.

Colin

The biggest barrier to uptake I've found is people don't realise/believe what the OS are offering. I've tried on a number of occasions to say "look at these aren't they wonderful, and it's all free", yet no one ever responds.

And we're still using one or two GIS map tiles in black and white......

For my purposes (day to day LRC & as a voluntary recorder) at least, OS OpenData (and license) is perfect.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

3 (edited by CCampbell 19-07-2011 13:19:42)

I agree with you - the open data available are very good and the license is a massive improvement (especially concerning derived data).  It's a real shame if people aren't aware of what's out there and that it's free.  Perhaps there's some work to do publicising the benefits of what's available?

My main criticism of the open data is the large scale mapping available.  For much of the recording we do - as well as research and land management work - we need a certain level of detail that's only available on the traditional 1:10,000/1:25,000 or better scale maps (which aren't open).  The OS open equivalent of these maps is relatively good for urban areas, water features and woodland, but completely lacks any further detail in the countryside.  Most of which just appears blank.

To do what we do, we really need a 1:10,000 type map, but cost and licensing of these data is much more restrictive than with the open data.  I know that some organisations struggle to justify the cost and it can be a real headache working through the licensing restrictions to get the most out of the data.

I agree, the data is good as far as it goes but for biological recording and dissemination of information, 1:25,000 is the smallest scale needed most of the time, and for that one really needs something of the quality of the Explorer mapping.

The other major limitation (on the vector mapping) is the lack of useful classification of features in the layers, making selective display difficult or impossible. The data model (if you can call it that) takes me back to my days at the OS in the 1970s developing the early digital mapping, when GIS was still largely a research topic,

- Martin Rand
  BSBI Recorder, South Hants (VC11)

It helps, but as others have already pointed out the layers available are scarcely ideal for rural areas. We might need to rely on it soon, however, as a result of our LRC's change of status from public to third sector and the OS licencing repercussions, so at least it is good to have as an option.

I think I have seen on here before that there is little chance of the NBNT being able to secure a free-to-user update to the Recorder 1:50000 map tiles which are getting older now (although the old ones would still be useful, if only they worked when you have multiple users on a network version without breaking all the time).

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)