Re: Recorder 6 Import Wizard bug

Sorry a couple of things here: Matching Names and Matching Locations. I will say below in detail the problems:

We are trying to import some data from a MapMate export, but it could be anything!

Matching Names:
When you get to the matching people's names screen if you have multiple observers, e.g.:
A.G. Someone, H.K. Else
they are not recognised as different people, i.e. they want to be matched up together.
When I go back and change them, before importing, to be:
A G Someone, H K Else
they import fine and are recognised as separate people. This surely is a bug? It recognises no problem for example the following format of observers:
Andy Smith, Tim Kemp, D Nell
as separate observers.

Matching Locations
When  you get to the matching locations and it has matched up some for you, you then have the choice to add the others as locations or to tick a box that says just add them to the Location_Name field. If you have a Vice County number specified in your data then that VC becomes the Location and the imported Location names go into the Location_Name field. The bug, happens on both, whether adding the locations to the location table or not.
The problem is when you have different location names, but the same grid ref, same person, same date and same sample type, but have different records for each of the different location names they all import under the same Location_Name (the first in the list of data to import). You then lose all the other location names which may identify the records to a particular area within the location. Surely the different location names should dictate that they become separate events and samples, irrespective of grid ref etc?

I discovered that where I had different Sampling Methods as part of the above, with all other details the same bar the different location names, these records were imported into separate samples as per the methods, with their respective Location_Names correct, but they were all still under the same Location_Name at the Event level, which is wrong. They should be under their own Event level with their respective Location_Names. This happens whether they are in the Location table already as separate locations or not.

Has anyone else come across these? Without the Matching Locations working I am not likely to be able to import the data.

Many thanks

Brian

Brian Miller
(Conservation Officer (Buckinghamshire), BBOWT)

No problem. Email on its way.

Brian

Brian Miller
(Conservation Officer (Buckinghamshire), BBOWT)

I've looked into the problems raised above and can reproduce them here.

I will be putting this forward as a bug to be fixed in the next version.

Many thanks,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC