Re: Sourcing records when importing from excel

When importing a long list of species records from an excel spreadsheet, does anyone know of a way how we can assign a source document to each record rather than edit each individual source/sample once the data has imported?

The way we do it is to make a column in the Excel sheet called Publication source. Before import, go to Documents and enter your source.

We have a protocol that requires each of these documents to have at least one entry for location and if the source is used for import, then two file locations.

For Example:

Physical (Storage Location in General Tab) KIC Records, 3rd Drawer, Orange Habitats+Species folder.
Electronic (Other File in Other Tab) Z:\Biodiversity Data\Metadata\Catalogue notes\KIC\2001

So when you do your import, Choose 'Publication Reference' in the first screen along with everything else & there ye go!

Cheers now, Rob

I must state that we are running R2K2,  and so my take on your query might be amiss. 
We attach a Source (Dorcument) to each record,  as metadata.  Clearly R2K2 Import Wizard cannot handle this.  So Mike Weideli has written HBRC some code that applies Sources to Taxon Occurrences,  based on simple rules.  In principle,  you establish a Source manually on a Survey (used for your import),  and the code adds that Source to each and every record if they do not already hold a Source.

I am sure that you could discuss how you might access his codeif it'd be of help.

All the best,
Steve
HBRC

Steve Roe
Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust