Re: Dataset discovery

We're starting to use the one site web service to do ad hoc queries on sites in our area. Some of these are large coastal/marine sites and bring back a lot of data.

We want to limit the data coming back by filtering on dataset because generally we're only interested in a limited number of datasets for each search. I want to make this flexible by presenting all datasets in a checkable list so that we can select the ones we want before each search.

My difficulty is that I cannot find a way to retrieve a list of all the datasets (and dataset keys) available on the Gateway to put into this list. There doesn't appear to be a dataset discovery service per se.

I thought that I'd be able to use the dataset list service, but as far as I can see, this service itself forces you to use a filter of either a taxon, a taxon reporting category or dataset. So there doesn't seem to be a way for me to get a complete list back.

Am I right of have I missed something? If I'm right, can anyone think of a workaround?

Rich

Richard Burkmar
Biodiversity Project Officer
Field Studies Council

Richard,

I'm afraid that is currently not possible, and you are the second person to bring it up this week. I will look at adding in the requirement for the next webservice iteration.

Calling a SpeciesList request for the area you are interested in, then populating the dataset list from the response would likely work but it isn't performant.

Paul Gilbertson,
NBN Gateway Developer

Okay thanks Paul. I'll give your workaround a go next week. It might be okay: I've been really surprised at the speed of performance of the 'one site' data request - even for large areas. And I imagine that the species list request will be much faster (certainly in terms of streaming the data back), so it might be useable.

Rich

Richard Burkmar
Biodiversity Project Officer
Field Studies Council