Re: Mapping a VC sub-set of a national dataset

I've been asked if I can produce grid maps for VC30-only records from out of the National Moth Recording Scheme dataset.

They don't even want to see records that were recorded outside the VC, but overlap it when mapped at the 2km resolution of this dataset.

Is there any way to filter records on GridMapRequest to only displaying those from within a VC please? (The ViceCounty option controls the bounding box but doesn't do any filtering of records).

I can't see any way to do this other than have them upload VC30's records as a separate dataset, but hopefully I'm missing a web-services feature that will prevent such duplication on the Gateway?

Regards, Keith

Hello Keith

The geographicalfilter element of the web services for the GridMap webservice is limited to filtering by bounding box and so you can not filter by a site boundary such as VC30 using this web service. This can be done using the "One Site data" web service which implements the geographicalfilter more fully. This web service returns the records and so you will need download access to the NMRS dataset

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

Thanks Graham.

That's as I expected. I did look once at how to set up a a secure web server so that I could implement the service required by greater access levels but my brain melted, so I'll tell them that's its much better to be able to see their VC in the context of their neighbours...!

The one other thing that I'd like to be able to fix, but don't think I can for similar reasons(?), is to restrict the offerered species list to just those recorded in the VC. At the moment I query the NMRS dataset for its species list, which is then offered to users to obtain a map, but of course some species are only found at the other end of the country, so they produce a blank map.

(The interface is at http://www.bnhs.co.uk/focuson/NBN_gateway/html/index.htm if anyone wants to have a play).

Regards, Keith