Re: Smartgroups Archive

Sarah Shaw tells me that the Recorder Smartgroups site is due to close on the 30th November.
This represents the loss of a useful archive if we don't somehow obtain a copy of it.

My efforts so far:
1. A pretty quick way (I thought) was to print to pdf (i.e. set up Adobe pdf as your printer and send your printing to that). This usually works fine on sites that are geared up for printing. Problems with the Smartgroups site is that this method truncates the right edge of messages. If anyone knows a fix for this it would be helpful as then one could capture a large amounts of it in this format.
2. A slow method would be to view and save the code.
3. Collect the emails from anyone who received them in this format during the SmartGroup's lifetime (mine go back as far as April 2004)

Any more ideas?

Hi Darwyn

We now hope to be able to extract and store the information from the SmartGroups site via a customised web crawler application, so the threads/messages will not be lost. We intend to store these in a SQL Server database for the time being.

Of course, we then have to look at how we can going to make this information available again on the web...

Kind regards,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Hi there,

Re: storing this archive...Whew! that's a relief! As part of my system manual draft, most of the troubleshooting section (a fairly lengthly document, as you can imagine) I have many hyperlinks to various threads to show how so many similar problems arise through slightly different applications of R2K/6.

I shall be keeping tabs on this issue.

Cheers now, Rob.