Re: Species Dictionary Upgrades R, S and T now available.

Dear all,

Species dictionary upgrades R, S and T are now available for download (link below). Please remember to re-build the indexes after running the upgrades.

These upgrades mainly include requested taxon additions to the dictionary. We are currently working on fixes for the sort order and hierachy issues.

http://www.jncc.gov.uk/page-4615

Best wishes,
Mary Campling

Am I missing something or is there no way to report on schedule 9 species?

This updates the 'Wildlife and Countryside Act (Schedule 9)' list and adds requested taxon list items to various lists.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Having had to do a reinstallation recently from 6.10.4 all the way to 6.15, I have a query.

As the taxon dictionary updates can now be seen as batches - is it necessary to rebuild indexes after EACH batch (O-P, Q, R, S-T)?
Or can one run successive batches (within the Recorder version [i.e. Q-T]) and THEN rebuild indexes.

In other words, does each batch rely on the indexes for its successful operation?

Thanks.

Cumbria Biodiversity Data Centre
Tullie House Museum

Matt

You only need to rebuild the indexes at the end of the process.

Mike

Mike Weideli

Charlie

The WCA schedule 9 designations do not appear in the JNCC Collation list and are therefore not being picked up by the Index_taxon_designation  table. This means that reporting on taxon designations will not include them. My understanding is that  by design the collation list only includes protected species and not all schedules species. To report on them you  can add the WCA Sch 9 Dict. Key  to the end of the keys specified in taxDesList column of the settings table ( add a comma followed by  NBNSYS0000000008. If you then rebuild Index_Taxon_Designation the WCA Sch 9 designations will be  added to this table. You would then be able to use the designation in XML reports (Taxon Determination Type keys  NBNSYS0000000086 and NBNSYS0000000087). For the Report Wizard you would need to create Taxon Designation sets which include the designation types.

Mike

Mike Weideli

I've just applied this with problems - see http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=7966

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

MikeWeideli wrote:

To report on them you  can add the WCA Sch 9 Dict. Key  to the end of the keys specified in taxDesList column of the settings table ( add a comma followed by  NBNSYS0000000008. If you then rebuild Index_Taxon_Designation the WCA Sch 9 designations will be  added to this table. You would then be able to use the designation in XML reports (Taxon Determination Type keys  NBNSYS0000000086 and NBNSYS0000000087). For the Report Wizard you would need to create Taxon Designation sets which include the designation types.

Hi Mike, I can't seem to get this to work - the keys aren't being added to the Index_Taxon_Designation:

SELECT *
FROM Index_Taxon_Designation
WHERE Taxon_Designation_Type_Key IN ('NBNSYS0000000086','NBNSYS0000000087')

Results in "no records returned"?

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

My mistake.  The keys I gave are for NI.

Index_taxon_designation should be correct, but the taxon_designation_type_keys are NBNSYS0000000018 and NBNSYS0000000019

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike - working perfectly now, cheers :D

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer

Why has water vole suddenly appeared outside of Class Mammalia?  There is nothing in the Arvicola genus, but water vole is a completely separate entry

Ellie
Eleanor Knott
Technical Co-ordinator
Devon Biodiversity Records Centre

Eleanor Knott
Devon Biodiversity Records Centre

yeah I noticed that.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

There has been some previous discussion on this and other similar  problems at http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=1674. I think it is  on the list of high priority fixes for the next Dictionary release.

Mike Weideli

I was just checking out this thread because I was investigating whether or not I could replace a makeshift WCA shedule 9 list that I created in 2010 with the official version in R6 as described in Mike's posts above. But when I looked at the plant list added by this method (NBNSYS0000000019), there are only 13 taxa in it (R6 system report sy05). Yet almost 40 were added to schedule 9 by the revision (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/609/article/2/made).

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Rich

Richard Burkmar
Biodiversity Project Officer
Field Studies Council

I am not sure about this.  NBNSYS0000000019 is just
'Plants which may not be planted or caused to grow in the wild'.   NBNSYS0000000017 is
'Plants which are protected from: intentional picking, uprooting or destruction (Section 13 1a); selling, offering for sale, possessing or transporting for the purpose of sale (live or dead, part or derivative) (Section 13 2a); advertising (any of these)  etc'

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike - NBNSYS0000000017 corresponds to schedule 8.

NBNSYS0000000019 corresponds to part 2 of schedule 9. Part 2 consists of the plants on the schedule (part 1 is animals which corresponds to NBNSYS0000000018). But NBNSYS0000000019 seems to be only a subset of the plants listed on the schedule - or at least those listed by the document I referenced above.

(It ishard to track down a definitive list - the Defra WACA web pages refer you to the JNCC maintained spreadsheet for definitive schedule lists, but as discussed in another thread - http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=1359 - this does not currently include schedule 9.)

Rich

Richard Burkmar
Field Studies Council

I will ask JNCC to clarify the current postion.

Mike Weideli

Hi Rich, Mike,
I would have thought that legislation.gov.uk should provide the comprehensive list: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/69/schedule/9
I have responded to the spreadsheet query in http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=1359
Could you please send me the address of the Defra WACA web pages which refer you to the JNCC spreadsheet?
Thanks,
Mary

Thanks Mary, that's a useful URL. I can't find the page that I thought referred me to the JNCC spreadsheet - I may have mis-read a reference to schedules 5 and 8.

Rich

Richard Burkmar
Field Studies Council