Re: Corfe Mullen BioBlitz

We used Indicia during the recent Corfe Mullen BioBlitz, for both data entry and to provide some feedback to the participants on how things were going. Here's a summary of what I did:
1) I installed an Indicia Warehouse onto my laptop.
2) Dorset Environmental Records Centre provided me with a list of known species in Dorset, with the latin name, common name and taxon group. This was in csv format.
3) I used Excel to get a distinct list of the taxon group names, then imported this list into the Warehouse's taxon groups list.
4) I created two empty species lists in the Warehouse. The first was to allow us to start entering data into an empty grid, the second was to hold the Dorset Species List. I used the csv upload facilities to upload the species list into the Warehouse (which took an hour or two but worked fine).
5) I also installed Drupal onto the laptop, and installed the IForm module into Drupal.
6) I created a new Indicia Form from within Drupal, using the MNHNL Dynamic Form 1. This was linked to a survey with a few very basic custom fields (recorder name & contact details, determiner name & contact details, abundance as free text, other information). See http://code.google.com/p/indicia/wiki/T … ynamicForm.
7) I also new Indicia Form in Drupals using the Distribution Map form and Report Grid form, setup to display a map of Corfe Mullen with all observations and a report of species counts by taxon group so we could see which taxon groups had the most species. This report included a total species count at the top. Also, I wrote a very similar form in Indicia that would display a random photo from the folder we were uploading to which will be committed to the code repository soon. Each of these forms were set up to display for 30 seconds before loading the next one in sequence (there are configuration options for this), giving a nice slideshow effect.
8) On the day, we plugged the laptop into a router along with two other laptops, which could access the data entry page via a link such as http://johns-laptop/drupal/node/1. We set up Drupal logins for each volunteer would was going to enter data. Also my laptop was connected to a projector and pointed to the map page, so it would cycle through the map, report and photos.

It all seemed to work pretty well, if you exclude the fact that there was too much interesting stuff going on in the field so we did not spend as much time inputting data on the fly as planned! But we did digitise about 190 different species on the day, and we are now at about 500.

I appreciate this is just a quick summary of what we achieved, but if you are interested in any specifics please ask and I will try to elaborate.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT