Re: Transparency of the Import Wizard

Just a plea for a little effort to be devoted to making the Import Wizard operate a little more transparently.

In order to get data into Recorder it is necessary to follow a large number of rules, which are pretty comprehensively listed in the help file. I suspect however, that like me, many users will be unable to remember all of these  rules all the time and thus will waste huge amounts of time fruitlesly searching for errors in the import data which do not exist. It would be relatively simple to idiot proof the wizard by including some error messages to explain why the import has failed.

Todays instance is a case in point. A colleague tried to import a small dataset (80 odd records, all at the same location, by the same recorder, but with various dates). Each time she tried, she got as far as the column selection screen, made the selection and then clicked the Validate Columns button. No errors were reported, but the Next button remained inactive. No further action could be taken.

Having pared the dataset down in a dozen different ways, I finally returned to the help file and buried in the text I find the rule "A location must always be accompanied by a grid reference" We had no grid ref column, problem solved.

While I understand the purpose of this rule (since the grid ref is used to validate the record), this is purely for the convenience of the programmers and does not make life easier for the user in any way. At this stage we are certain that the records belong at the specified location, but we do not know the precise grid reference, they are merely somewhere within the site (or location).

Adding any valid grid ref which falls within the grid squares associated with the location will satisfy the rule, but will appear, at a later date, to be spurious accuracy. If any grid ref must be assigned to the records (which I dispute), it has to be the spatial ref of the site, which again is spurious accuracy, but at least can be detected by checking the record gr against the site gr.

So please can the wizard be modified so that, on detecting this situation (a location field but no grid ref field), recorder asks the user "Would you like to use the site spatial ref?". If the user answers no, then the import can be aborted, if yes, job done.

I know there are several similar examples in the import wizard, but this is the one which has wasted an hour and a half of my time today.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

I think you will find that, in most cases, when the Next button is not active in the import wizard the text in the panel on the left will tell you what is required to continue. Perhaps this is too easy to overlook.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

3 (edited by Gordon Barker 25-03-2010 09:32:16)

I had this problem and it took a while trying to work it out before noticing the comment in the left sidebar as Sally mentions. It isn't particularly obvious, but there is also the effect that once you have used the import wizard a few times you stop paying attention to the sidebar.

Gordon

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust

4 (edited by RobLarge 25-03-2010 12:28:58)

Oh that'll be what they call a schoolboy error!

I am suitably chastened. It could be more obvious though (he says grudgingly).

I have played around with this one and see that it does seem to provide useful information in most cases, but really. I am not exactly new to using computer software and I missed it for over a year, so I think there is an issue.

When the text changes it does so subtly, and in the lower left-hand corner of one's field of vision, which, psychologists tell us, is more or less the last place we look. I will remember in future, but I bet mine won't be the last message of this tyoe.

Thanks Sally

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

As Sally suggests the left hand panel ususally indicates what the problem is on a certain page (sometimes you have to scroll down to see the whole message).
In the next version of Recorder 6 we are includding a series of improvements in error flagging etc to the import wizard. In addition there will be functionality to export a spreadsheet of information which will flag all the invalid rows that will not be included in the import and the reason for the problem (the last stage of the import wizard process).

Hopefully this will help a bit.
Best wishes,
Lynn

Thanks Lynn, I did remember you saying that woukld be in the new version. I can't wait!

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer