Re: Import Wizard - importing measurements with a list of allowed values

I've set up a measurement to capture behaviour categories, which has a list of allowable values to help standardise the data. When I import data, if I have any values that are not in the list, then clicking Validate Columns does highlight all the incorrect ones and prevent me going any further. This is OK, but it would be easier if the wizard would let you proceed then present a matching page, so you could match them to the allowed values and maybe even let you create new ones.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Does it not do this then John?

I too have set up measurements of this type and had been assuming that it would offer a matching page. I don't do any data entry myself, so I hadn't noticed. This is a serious omission then.

The creation of new items is an issue however. At WSBRC we are very much of the opinion that the creation of new terms within any of the term lists is a feature which should be restricted to the users with the highest level of access (or should at least require ratification by such a user). Recorder 6 already seems to create new measurement qualifications far too easily and this leads ultimately to unuseable data as a result of the proliferation of meaningless, ambiguous or even duplicated terms.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

Thanks John and Rob for your comments. I will add this to the feature requests.

Lynn