Re: Delete Survey

Hi,

I'm trying to delete a survey and it runs for about 6 minutes and then displays the message:

Warning, Failed to Delete Survey, OK

You click OK and you just return to Recorder as if nothing has happened.

Is there anything I should be doing before trying to delete, or any way of finding out why the Survey wont delete.

Regards,

Dave,
KMBRC

Is the survey very large, with lots of survey events? Are you running on a pc with SQL Express or little processing capacity?
There can be a memory issue on some pc's when using the addin to delete large surveys. We are hoping to adjust this at some point soon. in the meantime (if this is the issue) you can use the batch update which is built to cycle round a loop and delete 3000 records at a time - there seems to be no problem with this for deleting large surveys on machines with a range of memory availability.

Best Wishes,
Lynn

Hi Lynn,

Running under SQL Server 2005 and plenty of processing power and memory (I think). Problem is probably qty of records. 37K events, 39K samples & 160K + Occurences.

I've never used the batch updates so I must investigate, but it will be a long job at 3000 records a time.

Thanks for the suggestion, any further advice gladly welcomed.

Regards,

Dave

Lynn, Quick update.

Tested the Batch Delete program and then deleted the whole 161,128 record Survey in just a couple of minutes (or that's what it looks like). Do I need to run an Index Update of any sort now?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

No, the index updates are for the Taxon Dictionary not the surveys/observations part of the database.

Best Wishes

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT