Re: Recording insect/plant associations

I would like to record insect/plant associations in a more formal way than simply adding it to the comments about a record so that I can run reports like all plants associated with a particular insect or all insects assocaited with a particular plant. The association should also be formalised eg leaf mine, leaf gall, stem mine, feeding on flower, feeding on leaf etc. At a pinch I could modify substrate entries to include these relationships.

Has anyone done this or is anyone else interested in recording these relationships?

"Putting flies on the map!"

Recorder does allow for Associated  species to be recorded. This is done via the Related Occs. Tab on the Taxon Occurrence window. It allows the relationship to be recorded and you can set up your own relationship types through the Terms list. Look in Help for Related Occurrences for more details. At the moment there are no built in reports which include the related occurrences but XML reports could be built to return the associations. The realtionship is contained in table Taxon_Occurrence_Relation and the type in Relationship_Type.

Mike

Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike. I had missed that. I'll give it a go.
Regards
John

Hi John,

There is another way to do this.

We have to hold details of the substrates lichens grow on but these are not necessarily other species, they may be stone, metal or dead wood. Associated species doesn't handle these, and the substrate field is too limited, so we have set up a taxon occurence measurement to hold codes for the different types of tree, stone, etc. They can be shown in reports and used to filter the records. It's a simple solution but it works well.

If you are interested let me know and I'll send you further details.

Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

Hi Janet

I'm just curious - when you say that the Substrate field is too limited, had you considered extending the contents of the list to cover the codes you need using the Termlists screen? Or is there something else about substrates that you need which the measurements approach allows?

Regards

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Hi John,

We need to hold substrate information at two levels.

The list for Substrate has been extended in our system to include terms for corticolous, saxicolous, terricolous, lignicolous etc, and because a lichen may have been found in more than one of these habitats on a site also all the combinations (eg Cort+Sax for something that was growing on a tree and on stone). That's quite enough complexity for one list.

The other code, which for some reason now lost in the mists of history is called the Scale Habitat, allows us to hold more detail such as the types of tree or rock that the lichen was found on. So for one taxon occurence the substrate could be Cort+Sax and the Scale Habitats CFx, CQ, SSd, and SBr for Fraxinus, Quercus, sandstone and brick.

It's a way of holding a lot of information for each taxon occurence in a way that can easily be analysed and shown in reports. Lichenologists do things in their own way, but I would have thought some other groups would have similar requirements.

Janet

Janet Simkin
British Lichen Society

Thanks Janet. I think for my purposes the original method will be satisfactory.
Regards
John