Re: Sort order & browsing lists

I just mentioned these two on the troubleshooting page, but I think they would both make good feature requests.

Firstly, the ability to change the sort order of the main Recorder 6 views. The previously mentioned example was the ability to sort the Observations list view by something other than Survey/Event date, e.g. Survey/Location/Eventdate, but equally being able to sort the Locations view by filecode rather than just by name would help a lot.

The second thing is being able to browse (in the main windows) a selected list of items (as in Rec 3). For example, If I identify a number of observations within the dataset of a taxon thought highly unlikely to occur in our area, I can set up a filter to 'report on' those observations, but there is no way I can open up the list of observations (and only those) for editing or amendment. This, to my mind is one of the biggest omissions from Recorder 6.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

Good ideas Rob, I'll add these to the wishlist.
Thanks,
Lynn

Hi Rob and Lynn.
I like the second idea - it ought to be not too tricky to implement either because we could re-use the "external filter" idea. This would mean the contents of a report could be loaded into the observations (or locations etc) screens as if it was an external filter so you could review and edit the data.

In the Observations window, if you select an Event then there is a Sort icon in the toolbar which allows you to change the order of the events. Likewise for samples etc. However, the sort option for Locations doesn't given you any option other than the name of the location - so it would be nice to allow sorting by file code and maybe some other fields such as location type.

Best Wishes

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Hi Lynn/John

And would it be possible to call an External Filter from within the Report Wizard?  For example, if records have just been imported into a large ongoing survey, you could use that saved external filter in a report template to output just the newly added records and use 'Send to Map' etc.

Alison

Alison Stewart
Environmental Database Manager
Dorset Environmental Records Centre

Alison Stewart
Dorset Environmental Records Centre

Hi,

I agree with everyone ... I'd also like to be able to sort locations by FileCode and GridRef rather than only on Location Name.  The FileCode is our unique referencing field at HBIC and it get's very frustrating having to use the filter screen or having to click on every location to find the one you want.  However, this would also require the ability to optionally display the FileCode and/or the GridRef in the tree view rather than only the Location Name.

It could work rather like the "Use Common Names" options for taxon observations where taxons are sorted by scientific name if the common name ISN'T shown, but by common name if the common name IS shown.  However, this could go one step further to show the common name before the scientific name if sorted by common name and after if not.  Similarly the location view could show the FileCode followed by the Location Name if sorted by FileCode or GridRef and Location Name if sorted by GridRef.

This flexibility could also be extended to Events in the survey view so that events can be sorted by Location Name and show Location Name followed by Date, or vice-versa if sorted by Date.

Expanding the Find functionality would also be great so that I can find Locations by FileCode or GridRef and I can find events by Location Name.

Andy

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk

Hi,

If we were able to provide some funding is there any chance that we could get the following enhancements?

1. Adding the option to sort by File_Code or Location_Spatial_Reference in the Location window

2. Adding ability to view File_Code and/or Location_Spatial_Reference in the Location window as well as the Location Name (and allow users the option of which to show and in which order)

Many thanks,
Andy

Andy Foy
Systems Manager
Greenspace Information for Greater London (GiGL) CIC
www.gigl.org.uk

Andy

We will look into this and let you know.

Mike Weideli