Re: Confidential records

Hi

The Help in R6 says that records can be flagged as 'Confidential'. Unhelpfully, the Help does not say how to do this.

Is the flagging something that can be done within an import spreadsheet, or is it something that must be done after the data are imported?

I need to flag some records as 'confidential' and would very much welcome knowing how to do so.

Thanks in anticipation,

Cheers, Ian

To flag an observation as confidential edit it and tick the Confidential box on the General tab. If you look in the Help (Contents – Tasks – Exchanging data – Import data – Import Wizard – Data format) you will see that you can have a column for a Confidential Flag.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

Hi Sally

Many thanks! I'm not surprised I didn't find that entry - I tried the search for 'confidential' and that instance did not show.

I have tried an import and see how it works - great! I also see that confidential records do not appear in an ordinary report. I must explore how I can report on the records that are confidential.

All the best, Ian

To include confidential observations you need to untick ‘Exclude Confidential Data’ on the Constraints tab which can be accessed via ‘Additional Filters’ on the Layout Selection page of the report wizard. For more information see the Help (Contents – Tasks – Reporting – Using the Report Wizard – Additional filters - Constraints).

Unfortunately recent improvements to the Help have not included sorting out the indexing and searching capabilities due to insufficient resources so the easiest way to find some things is via the Contents tab.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

Hi Sally

Very many thanks for your assistance. I had not looked at the 'Contstraints' tab before (I had not really noticed it). I shall print our exchanges here and keep the paper in my R6 file.

All the best, Ian