Topic: Lepidoptera checklist

We have recently upgraded the dictionary to the latest version (3B) and noticed that for many species in the Lepidoptera checklist it is now impossible to match them to species level as only the sub species are shown. For example speckled wood or green-veined white.

Is this intentional?

Re: Lepidoptera checklist

See http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=6168

The old checklist still exists - I've set it as the preferred one to deal with this.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

With the new Agassiz (ABH) checklist, any species that has listed trinomials currently has no equivalent binomial in that dictionary. This is an issue for the National Moth Recording Scheme hence why this dictionary has yet to be applied. You can use the old Bradley (BF) dictionary to resolve the binomials; however, if your reporting uses species codes for example, you'll have a mixture of both codes.

I'm in the process of going through the current ABH Lepidoptera list (the one available to download from the NHM website) and making what I believe should be the necessary binomial additions and advising on allocation of ABH codes to the incorrect subspecies. As with all things this is taking some time to go through.

Les Evans-Hill
Senior Data Officer, National Moth Recording Scheme

Thanks for the information. I think this is something which needs a dictionary upgrade to correct soon, as some people will be unintentionally matching species to sub-species level by accepting the automatic matches.

Yes, this is something I'd like to improve upon by adding in the 80-ish binomials but it'll take some time and would really need the author's approval to do it. The binomials exist in the system but they just aren't listed in the latest checklist.

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)

6 (edited by nmrs 27-05-2016 07:05:17)

Chris, is it worth me writing to David, Stella and Bob?

btw, I've found 118 binomials, all listed in my spreadsheet.

One other thought, the binomials that are listed are all associated with the Bradley (2000) dictionary and this is static. Surely that means it isn't possible to change the Taxon List and Species Code data and would require new TVK/TLIKs?

Les Evans-Hill
Senior Data Officer, National Moth Recording Scheme