Topic: Cydia succedana / ulicetana

According to NBN Gateway and Recorder, these appear as two valid species, but according to LepIndex and some other sources, Cydia ulicetana should be a junior synonym of C.succedana

Craig

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

Re: Cydia succedana / ulicetana

Hi Craig

Well spotted. I have been up to chat with Martin Honey and the situation is slightly different though. Apparently LepIndex is being revamped so it cannot be relied upon at the moment. The correct state of affairs is:

Cydia ulicetana (Haworth, 1811)
= Cydia succedana auct. Brit.

Both are valid species but ulicetana is a northern European species and succedana is the southern species. So far Martin thinks that no succedana have been confirmed from the UK but they were thought to be here (hence the confusion). I will check this with Kevin Tuck on Monday but Martin was fairly sure and this agrees with UK Moths too.

If confirmed by Kevin I will: sink succedana to be a junior synonym of ulicetana; delete the authority (because it isn't Schiffermuller's succedana); and add "auct. Brit." to the attribute (denoting that it is the succedana refered to by British authors).

:)

Chris R.

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)