Topic: status of mollusc Balea heydeni

There are 2 species of Balea:  B. perversa, and B. heydeni.
I am informed that B. heydeni has become B. sarsii, but can find nothing to substantiate this.
I can't find a reference to the name as a species via the NBN Gateway, except those in anothe genus.
But I have found links on the internet to 2 technical pages (modified in 2012) comparing B. perversa and B. sarsii !
So it does seem a recognised name....

Is anyone aware of this name change?  Is it correct?

Thanks
Nigel

Re: status of mollusc Balea heydeni

I didn't know that Balea heydeni had become Balea sarsii, but it looks like it is just a name change which is not yet generally adopted in this country, so it should be Ok to continue to use Balea heydeni.

Up to 2005 Balea perversa was the only species recognised in this country. It was then recognised that Balea heydeni was here so in effect B.Perversa was split into two,  but retaining the name B.perversa, now with a different meaning, and introducing a new name for this country of B.heydeni.  This makes older records for B.perversa inaccurate in that they now refer to an aggregate. Recorder 6 should be pointing the older records to the Balea perversa/heydeni aggregate. New records should be input by using the preferred mollusc list which has the split and the aggregate.

As I understand it. it  is B.heydeni which is thought to be the most common species in this country and therefore that most older records probably refer to this rather than to B.perversa under which it was orgiginally recorded, but the only safe thing to do without specimens is to consider them as the aggregate.

The Conchological Society, Journal of Conchology contains a detailed paper explaining the difference between the two species.

Journal of Concholgy Vol 30 Part 2, November 2006, Gittenberger E, Preeece RC & Ripken ThEJ - Balea heydeni - an overlooked but widely distributed Europena species.

Also the AIDGAP key Land Snails in the British Isles (Second edition 2008) covers the two species.

Mike Weideli

Hi Nigel

I can't see any reference to Balea sarsii in PESI, GBIF or WoRMS but it does come up in AnimalBase. I don't think I'd like to add it in to the database or change the synonymy without a general consensus though.

Best wishes,
Chris R.

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)

Chris, Mike, thanks very much for all that information. It all makes sense now, and I'm quite happy with the situation as it is.
Regards
Nigel

We need to check further if this opinion has been widely accepted.

The publication is which this name is used is
Fauna Norvegica Vol 30 (2010)
Three land-snail species new to the Norwegian fauna: Pupilla pratensis (Clessin, 1871), Vertigo ultimathule von Proschwitz, 2007 and Balea sarsii Philippi, 1847 [= B. heydeni von Maltzan, 1881]
Ted von Proschwitz

Abstract

Three land-snail species are reported as new to Norway: Pupilla pratensis, which has been segregated from P. muscorum s. lat., occurs in three isolated, calcareous wetland sites in the counties of Hedmark and Oppland and two calcareous rock habitats in Nordland County; Vertigo ultimathule, recently described from the northernmost part of Swedish Lapland, has been found in seven localities in the adjacent Norwegian county of Finnmark – the species is probably endemic to northernmost Scandinavia; finally Balea sarsii [= B. heydeni], a pronounced Atlantic element, which has been segregated from B. perversa s. lat., is found in five sites in Hordaland County and one in Sogn og Fjordane County – the locality at Florø in the latter province is the northernmost known for the species.

Regards,
Martin Bishop

Thanks for the extra information Martin. I usually take my lead from the UK experts in any particular field (especially the recording scheme organisers) because, at the end of the day, the database is a tool to enable good biodiversity recording, rather than a reflection of varying taxonomic opinions. If someone advises me that UK recorders need the changes to be applied then I can do that but until then I will leave the everything as it is now. :)

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,

I had this message from Richard Preece (an author of the 2006 paper quoted above):
Dear Martin
I had seen this paper - it seems as if B. sarsii Pfeiffer 1847 is a senior synonym of B. heydeni von Maltzan, 1881.  Coincidentally, I've just emailed Edi Gittenberger regarding the same issue (and about Pyramidula).  If anything further emerges I'll let you know.
Best wishes
Richard

So it is correct to do nothing for now,
Regards,
Martin

Great :)  I will watch out for any changes in the future

Richard Preece
8:36 AM (28 minutes ago)

to me
Hi Martin
My understanding is that heydeni von Maltzan 1881 is a junior synonym of sarsii Pfeiffer 1847 (type locality: Norway).  Ted von Proschwitz discovered this earlier name. 

Best wishes
Richard

At 17:29 24/09/2014, you wrote:
I would like to know if you have any recent updates on the heydeni/sarsii naming issue.
Regards,
Martin

Balea sarsii is the name used in the recent Illustrated Guide to the land snails of the British Isles, produced by the Conchological Society in conjunction with the NHM and others.

Mike Weideli

May it now become the name recognised in UKSI?
Thank you,
Martin Bishop

Hi Martin - Balea sarsii should now be the accepted name for what was B.haydeni :)