Topic: Hoverfly Rules

Is there a problem with the Hoverfly Rules?

I tried running some records from Recorder in NBN Exchange Format through the Record Cleaner which contained some Hoverfly records. All records passed validation. On running the verification stage, when it came to the Hoverfly Rules a meesage box which contained the text "Run Period Within Year - Index was outside the bounds of the array." appeared and it was necessary to keep clicking the OK button to get through the Hoverfly Rules. After this things continued as normal and subsequent Rules were checked with no problems.

I tried clearing the verification rules as outlined in the User Guide and then reinstalled the rules but the same message box appeared again.
I then uninstalled the Record Cleaner and removed all directories not removed by the uninstall procedure. I downloaded the latest version of the Record Cleaner and ran the installer as administrator. This installed everything into C:\Program Files while the previous version had the program in C:\Program Files and Validation and Verification data in C:\Program Data (OS is Windows 7 Professional). I presume this shouldn't be a problem as long as everything remains within C:\Program Files, which is where the downloaded rules went from within Record Cleaner. However, the same message box continues to appear.

I tried running a subset of the Recorder output containing only Syrphidae records and despite the irritation of the message box, the verification rules seemed to be applied correctly. However, on examining the FailedVerification output from the Record Cleaner, I found there were 2 entries for the same Record Key, both with the same Taxon Version Key - NBNSYS0000006866 :-

For the first the Verbose  Error was - Grid is outside known range of Melanostoma mellinum
For the second the Verbose  Error was -Grid is outside known range of Melanostoma dubium

On examining the HRS_Hoverfly_rules for both flightPeriod and range, I found that the TVK for Melanostoma dubium in both rules was NBNSYS0100022641 which is listed on the NBN Gateway as Melanostoma dubium misident. - a synonym for Melanostoma mellinum.
NBNSYS0000006866 on the Gateway is Melanostoma mellinum.
Looking at the difficulty rules, I could not find NBNSYS0100022641 but I did find NBNSYS0000006865 which on the Gateway is the correct TVK for Melanostoma dubium.

Charlie Darling
Biodiversity Data Assistant
Scottish Wildlife Trust

Re: Hoverfly Rules

Hello Charlie

Do you have any hoverfly records leading to the index out of bounds error that you could send me? This will help to look into this error to see if I can find the cause

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

Re: Hoverfly Rules

Hello Charlie

An updated version of the NBN Record Cleaner (V1.0.8.4) has been released. This should fix the issue you have been having when running the hoverfly rules and also the issue of including untested records in exports of passed records.

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer