Re: Norfolk Big Urban Wildlife Watch (Bioblitz)

ok thanks I will have a go and then send to you
cheers

If anyone is interested, the report Sam required is going to be in Indicia 0.7, under stats/species_and_occurrence_counts_by_sample_attribute_text. It groups the species and occurrence count data by a custom attribute value, in this case the nearest major conurbation.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Hi John.
Had a really good bioblitz.....643 species as of last night (and counting...).  Good weather and lots of 'engaged' people.

Had problem with my host server going down at the crucial time....its ok now, but couldn't really use the online recording, managed to use the version on the testwarehouse for a bit on sunday...but it was really slow until it recovered properly yesterday afternoon.  It is fine now.  It was very annoying though, as you can imagine!  Although it was a last minute thing anyway to include the online recording and so our wildlife trust were not that bothered that is was not working.  Despite this I still want to get it working properly so that we can display the results on the distribution map (hopefully this week) and allow people to had any further records they have not sent in yet; plus we want to keep it open as a general urban survey to have on our website.....so all is not lost.

In a way it was a slight blessing in disguise, as I could not get the live warehouse to work for the forms I have set up.  So we were going to be using the testwarehouse version anyway.  The problem I had was that none of the lists (i.e. survey dropdown in the iform parameters and species lists in species) were working.....or giving me access to.  I wonder if it is my permissions that I have on the live warehouse?  As I had trouble editing attibutes etc when I set up survey etc on the warehouse. Any thoughts??
The process I went through when setting up for the live warehouse was the following: Clear all cache in Iform cache folder and in my drupal performance area > Configure the helper_config for the live warehouse and geoserver urls > run diagnostic check (which was success on all counts) > Start to revise dynamic Iform for live warehouse, including new website ID and password etc.

On completely different subject -
I know it is not in your indicia remit, but I wondered if you had any advice about the below issue:

I am still developing the final touches to our new site via the drupal instance in a folder not in the root directory.  As you probably already know, it is in http://www.nbis.org.uk/drupal.  When it replaces our current site, I would like the drupal site to be at http://www.nbis.org.uk (over riding the current site).  Along with the online recording element, I have a few things to finish before we replace the site with the drupal site, but hopefully this should be very soon......so I tested this move last night etc and found that it did not display the drupal site at all or properly.  I basically moved the html pages for the current site to a folder called OLDSITE in Filezila and then moved all the drupal files out of my drupal folder to the the root directory.  This did not work, or sometime the homepage displayed...but not the other pages.  I then read up on drupal.org forums and realised I would need to change the baseurl in settings.php....so I did this, but it made no difference...even with running the update.php.  The homepage only sometimes worked and all the other pages still had the url (alias) as e.g. /drupal/news.  I was hoping that the above would make the changes to the drupal instance and automatically change the urls etc.  I wonder if I needed to change something on my host drupal database in phpadmin, as I guess it was set up to the /drupal url.  However I can't work out how to change where the database points in phpadmin.
As this failed I have changed back the site to /drupal/ and reverted all the changes back.....it is pretty much back to normal (just a bit slower and my facebook walls module does not work).
I wondered if you had any advice on the procedure of moving a site from a drupal directory to the site root directory,or if you could point me in the direction of somewhere/one who could - apologies again for this not being an indicia issue, but I'm really stuck.

THANKS JOHN and apologies for the really long message!

Hi Sam
On the Drupal site move thing, I have previously done exactly this by moving files from a folder to the root directory then changing $base_url in settings. In my case though, it worked fine barring a few hard coded links that needed to be hunted down and changed. You will want to clear the Drupal cache as well after changing base_url and moving the files. If its not the cache issue then I'm afraid I don't know, but if you can setup the "broken" scenario I don't mind having a quick look.

When you switched between live and test warehouse, I think you need to recreate a new form and copy the settings over, because the IDs for lots of settings will have changed (e.g. species lists etc).

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Hi Sam
Just a couple of thoughts about the problem with your Drupal move.
1. Are you using clean urls and is a change needed to the rewrite rules?
2. Is there a webserver setting for the default page that needs changing to index.php?
Jim

Apologies for the slow reply to your messages both.....its been one of those weeks.

Re: drupal move - Glad I seem to be doing the right things.  How does one clear the cache post moving files...as last time I tried I could not access my admin menu for performance?  Also I changed the $base_url to http://www.nbis.org.uk from http://www.nbis.org.uk:/drupal, should it have been something like http://www.nbis.org.uk:/node or http://www.nbis.org.uk:/index.php?

I thought about the clean url's Jim and I thought I tried disabling this for one of the attempts, but may try again.....do you think this should disabled before moving files and then enabled when all works?  Jim sorry I'm a novice, what are the rewrite rules?
I did wonder about the index.php and whether there was something I needed to change.  I will check on our host website to see if there is a change needed for a default page.  Thanks for advice, I'm still worried I may have to change something to do with the phpadmin for the database and that scares me a little!

Re: On the switch to live warehouse question.  I tried recreating a new form on the weekend, a I thought exactly this....however once I added the website ID and selected the form type and clicked on the load settings etc it would not give me the option of selecting anything in the drop-downs for survey or species etc.  I will however try again tomorrow.

Thanks

John tried the creating a new Iform for the live warehouse again, using our live warehouse Id (7) with password and still does not work.  I think there must be something simple I am missing.  Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Hi Sam
Your indicia cache is in the ftp folder /public_html/drupal/sites/all/modules/iform/client_helpers/cache which you can empty to clear the cache. Note though that this is not the same as the Drupal cache - more on that later. Looking through the file contents currently there, I can see quite a few requests placed for website ID 20 which are presumably leftovers from the original forms configured to use the test warehouse. I also found the following:

table=survey&indicia_website_id=7
{"error":"Unknown Exception: unauthorised"}

This implies that you have not specified the correct password for website ID 7. If you clear the cache and try again, then check if a file is created with the same problem in it, it should prove that this is the issue.

To clear the Drupal cache, use the admin menu to go to the Site configuration - Performance page and you should find a clear cache button near the bottom of the page.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

34 (edited by samneal 13-06-2011 15:00:53)

Your indicia cache is in the ftp folder /public_html/drupal/sites/all/modules/iform/client_helpers/cache which you can empty to clear the cache. Note though that this is not the same as the Drupal cache - more on that later

- Yes this is the Indicia cache I have been clearing with no success and yes as you say I'm also aware that the Drupal cache is different.

To clear the Drupal cache, use the admin menu to go to the Site configuration - Performance page and you should find a clear cache button near the bottom of the page.

- This is what I do normally to remove drupal cache and did before moving the drupal files to the root directory, however the problem I was having was that I could not access this page after I moved the files when things went wrong (as described before)..whereas I could before the move.  Therefore what I was saying was that, as one of your suggestions to help me solve the problem of moving drupal files to the root was clearing the cache after moving the files, I wondered how I would access the performance page after moving files.....if it had gone wrong..... as it does.

Regarding the Iform live issue - I have tried again as you suggested.  It does indeed come up with a file that says the same.  As I wondered before do you think it is the permissions I have for the warehouse? As the password is correct as it lets me into the warehouse site.  Although now I can't seem to recreate that message.

Hi Sam
The form you were using still had the website ID from the test warehouse (20) rather than the website ID from the live warehouse (7). I changed the password on the warehouse and tested creating a new form after clearing the indicia cache and it worked fine. Your comment "As the password is correct as it lets me into the warehouse site.  " made me wonder if you were trying with your warehouse user's password rather than the website's password?
Best Wishes

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Thanks John!!! All seems to work fine.

Yeah with the testwarehouse the password is the same for warehouse user password and for website password (20).
I tried both the password given for the website and for the warehouse user for the live warehouse form (using ID 7 rather than 20) - neither seemed to work........although I was mainly trying the warehouse user one, as you point out, until I realised......maybe the website password was changed and I never noted this change.
Either way it seems the password change you made solves all the problems.

On a slightly related subject:
I cannot delete or edit the custom attributes I create on the live warehouse; this is a problem using the attributes drop-down and in the set-up attributes bit in my surveys (although I can delete here).  Could you or Jim change my permissions so that I can delete/edit anything that I personally create on the live warehouse (in this case attributes, but I guess it may affect surveys, websites, term lists, species lists etc)?

Many thanks

ALSO John.  Did you manage to work out whether the UK Master list can be used as a species list to choose from when using the csv upload form??  Or is there a way that a copy of the UK master list could be saved under my created lists?  I guess I could export as a csv and then import as a csv as a new list for my website.

Thanks

Hi Sam
Yes, you should be able to use the UK master list for your CSV uploads and your recording. I wouldn't ever copy the whole list as it is too big.
Cheers

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

John,

Survey forms have been up for a while now and they generally have been working fine for most people....some people are having the odd problem....but these have either been rectified or I need further information from the people.

I currently have the following problems:
1. Distribution Maps displayed after entering a record (e.g: http://www.nbis.org.uk/NNNSI_Map) does not show the records clearly/at all when zoomed out to our default, which is showing the whole of Norfolk.  The blue squares show up fine if you zoom into the record you just submitted, but when showing the whole county it is impossible to see unless the records are poor grid refs (i.e. much larger squares).  I think the blue squares are fine for zoomed in, but the see through light blue colour does not work for most zoom levels.  I think that the squares either need to have a solid colour that is bright, to be picked up at all scales or introduce a county boundary map for certain zoom levels until you zoom nearer in and then use the default map background.  Any thoughts?  May need to discuss.

2. Verification grids (e.g. http://www.nbis.org.uk/NNNSI_Verification) have 'error on page' when trying to click on 'verify', 'reject' etc.  This is similar problem I have had before with the dynamic forms, which needed a box ticking to stop this (client side validation I think??)....but the box does not exist for this form.  Or maybe is it another problem, like with the distribution maps, where I need to add some script because I have "Optimized JavaScript files:" in the performance section on my drupal installation?  On an aside, would you suggest that it is best that I disable this "optimize JavaScript files"?    Again any thoughts? 

Also you replied a while back about the following:

johnvanbreda wrote:

Hi Sam
Yes, you should be able to use the UK master list for your CSV uploads and your recording. I wouldn't ever copy the whole list as it is too big.
Cheers

I need to look into the csv upload thing a little more to make it work properly, however I still cannot match against the UK master list species list when selecting options before uploading a csv.  Surveys that only have a select number of species are fine, as I can use their species list, but I have one that is for any species.....so need to be able to match against the UK master list.

Thanks

Hi Sam
On the map, I have changed the style setting to dist_point_red (you can try dist_point_blue if you prefer). This setting shows a dot when the grid square is too small to see. As the grid square grows in size when you zoom in the dot will disappear.

Can you let me know the id of a record I can try verifying (i.e. one that should be verified) so I can check this. Generally this should all work with the optimised JS files turned on, though as you know the setting can mess up relative paths so I will take a look.

Regarding the last issue, I completely agree with the need for the ability to enter against Warehouse owned lists (such as the UK master list). However, the form generated for selecting the species list currently filters this on the lists owning website ID, so you cannot choose the UK master list. I have raised an issue for this - http://code.google.com/p/indicia/issues/detail?id=325 - though it may take me a while to get round to fixing it.

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

John,

thanks for map red dots change.  That is perfect, it is exactly what we needed.

RE: verifying - To test this could you look at http://www.nbis.org.uk/BroadSweep2011_Verification.  Here all of the records can be verified. e.g. ID 24557.

Thanks for looking into the csv issue and raising it as an issue.  No worries on it taking a while, it is not that urgent.

Many thanks

Sam

Hi Sam
I went to the verification page after logging in as admin, using FireFox 5. Entered the record ID 24557 and clicked Run Report. Then clicked the verify link for the record and pressed Save with no comment. It all worked fine. Can you let me know what I am doing different to you please?
Thanks

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

John,

sorry late reply.

yes you are correct in how you went into it.  I'm working at home and I tried it and I can click on verify to go to the comment page (which it wouldnt before).  It must be a IE7 thing then.  As two of us tried it on different computers in the office (where we have IE7) and it didn't work; but it works at home on IE9, chrome and firefox as you say.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sam

Sorted - thanks Sam. There was indeed a browser specific bug in the JavaScript. I've patched your copy of the report grid and applied the fix to the code.
Cheers
John

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

thanks for this John.  Sorry late reply.