Topic: Site down again

0830-ish, and the Gateway is down completely, it would seem

Easymaps links eventually gives the error 'Your request could not be completed because of the following errors.
You must supply a tvk'.  Sorry, G5, but I did supply a tvk.  And I reported an identical error some time back.

Trying to access the home page results in no such helpful courtesy - after 5 minutes and counting the loading wheel still spins while the browser claims to be 'sending request to data.nbn.org.uk' but the server appears not to be interested.

Meanwhile, back on G4 - yes, you have guessed - service is helpful.  Or at least as helpful as an non-updated database can be.

Murdo

Re: Site down again

Monday 25 January - Gateway still down.
We're trying to get recorders in the Outer Hebrides to use the Gateway and I'm getting a mailbox full of queries as to why it's not working! We're intending to run a workshop on Thursday evening to help our recorders get the best of out of the Gateway, so please get the screwdrivers out and fix it.
These recurrent server/software failures are becoming habitual and making the Gateway not fit for purpose. I'm sure you are as frustrated as we are, but will someone please grasp the nettle and sort out this mess once and for all.

Not only that, but over the weekend we were treated to the now totally expected inconsistency where Easymaps produced two different error messages and none after minutes of doing nothing; and trying to load the site from the URL gave no message and a 'page not found' error (once), over Saturday-Sunday in no apparent pattern.

No doubt we will be told (again) that if behaviour is inconsistent it is difficult to find the problem.  The obvious answer is to rewrite the software so that it *is* consistent.  That drawing-board must be lying around somewhere in the NBN office.  Find it, perhaps?  And in the interim why not just upload the outstanding data to G4?  It does not have all the glitzy digital bling, and for all we criticised it when it was the only choice we had, at least it was (and usually still is) more reliable, consistent and transparent than the turkey we have now.

Murdo

We apologise for any downtime, however we run the gateway on a best efforts basis, and as such we do not offer support outside of office hours as we simply do not have the staff to do so. I am trying to figure out what happened in the mean time but the gateway is up and running now.

Matt Debont
Application Developer
Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Monkstone House, City Road, Peterborough PE1 1JY, UK

Thanks, Matt.  However, the answer is not to have support staff on call 24/7, but to have a site that is robust and does not crash so frequently.

And when it does crash, the minimum we should expect is a meaningful accurate message, rather than no message, a completely inappropriate message, or a message that tells us no more than we had already worked out for ourselves.

As I pointed out in a post some time ago, the 'supply a tvk' nonsense has come up before, so yet again whatever patch was applied is has not worked.

M.

Thanks Matt, I am not unsympathetic, but applying sticking plasters is not the answer.
If G5 is proving to be so unstable, please remove all the bells and whistles that are causing the problems, and give us something that works in the interim, while you decide what to do with it.
An error message would really help, particularly as many of us use the system outside office hours. Also in areas where broadband is less robust, it is often reassuring to know that it us the NBN server which is down and not a local connection fault.

7 (edited by Syrphus 26-01-2015 15:47:29)

On the subject of downtime and the other thoroughly unfriendly feature where you only notify planned downtime on the home page, see what this site does: http://www.ispotnature.org/, and navigate to various pages.

Check it before tomorrow, though, or on Wednesday.

If OU can do it, so can NBN, and how helpful it would be.

M.

Bumping this as data.nbn.org.uk was down for me all day yesterday and this morning.

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Hi, yes we are aware of the downtime and are looking into now, the site should be up now, but you may experience some service drop-outs throughout the day until I finish poking and prodding.

Matt Debont
Application Developer
Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Monkstone House, City Road, Peterborough PE1 1JY, UK