Topic: Inconsistent record total and record list

I had to check the distribution of Pachynematus montanus this morning.

The taxa page shows three items (all synonyms), and each with 4 records, and our HBRG set the only set listed.

The map showed only one dot.

Calling the records only shows one record.

Our primary database only has one record.

My conclusion is that, despite appearances, there is indeed one record, not four.  Or, perhaps, there are three records from other datasets that are not being shown.

Either way, something is wrong.  And I will eat my boots if persuaded that Pachynematus montanus is the only taxon affected.

M.

Re: Inconsistent record total and record list

Hello Murdo

There are 4 records of Pachynematus montanus, 3 more being in the Invertebrate Site Register - Scotland dataset which has no public access and the reason why you are not seeing them. The full list of datasets for the species can be found in the grid map report https://data.nbn.org.uk/Taxa/NHMSYS0020935707/Grid_Map

Best wishes

Graham
NBN Technical Liaison Officer

Re: Inconsistent record total and record list

OK, Graham.  Thanks.  But would it not be so much more convenient if we could see that on the taxa page?  You show us the grid map there, and the included datasets.  Why should we have to go to the full grid map to get the excluded sets?  There is far too much unnecessary navigation on the site, and this is a splendid example.

I rarely go the the full grid map, as I expect the dots to be the same as the reduced map on the taxa page.  I do frequently go to the IMT to get record details, and that has no mention anywhere that I can find of the SNH ISR, not even buried in that ludicrous 'spanner' link.  So what I see is an inconsistency, and I waste time trying to find out why - especially in this case where the dataset is my responsibility.

What 'logic' persuaded someone that we should know about the ISR on the grid map but not on the IMT?

M.