Topic: What is the point of 'Request Access Until'? And data security?

Having just dealt with an access request, I am puzzled as to the point of the 'Request Access Until' option.

If I allow full access to our Badger set (the only one which is on restricted access, 10km, for obvious conservation reasons) until, e.g. tomorrow, the user downloads all the records this afternoon and has then has use of them indefinitely.

It then only needs a similar time-restricted request every few months/years depending on update frequency for a granted 1 day access to be de facto indefinite.  For some sets that are infrequently updated one download would be enough to be de facto indefinite.

Am I missing something?

What concerns me far more is the security of data that are downloaded under this system.  I had a request from a university researcher the other day, from a hotmail address.  I have not acted on it, other than to request more info, and assurances on the data security.  That has so far been met with silence.

These records are on restricted access for good reasons supported by SNH and Scottish Badgers, but the moment the set is downloaded at full access that control is lost.

I think I am no longer allowed to assign 1km resolution access, something I would be much more relaxed about.  If so, that is yet another useful function available in the old Gateway and now lost.

Clarification welcome.

Murdo