1 (edited by iain 30-03-2013 15:37:24)

Topic: Indicia with ASP.Net and AJAX

Well, I've managed to get something together which works for me but is a long way from being a production thing. It only understands mammals and birds at the minute and has limited functionality but as it's a wee bit different from how other Indicia pages I've seen have been created thought I'd post it here as a variation on how Indicia can be developed using ASP.Net and AJAX.

http://www.ereca.org.uk/eReca.aspx

and one with a picture data entry list

http://www.ereca.org.uk/eRecaP.aspx

Sorry, the code's a shambles at the minute as I've been concentrating my efforts on getting a rough outline together before progressing with this...

Ta

Iain

Re: Indicia with ASP.Net and AJAX

Hi Iain
I've had a little play - looks like some good ideas here so I'll be interested to see how it all comes along.
Best wishes
John

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Well done! It is very gratifying to see Indicia use being taken up and extended to another platform.

Jim Bacon.

Thanks for the positive noises - although there's no way I'd be near this stage without Indicia. Just looking at the possibilities and it's actually quite amazing what can be achieved, I'm working toward a survey co-ordination app at the minute which should be fun with a bit of OpenLayer stuff thrown in. From what I've seen so far, Indicia can be used for quite a lot more than just the bog-standard species recording...

Ta

Iain

Hi

Here's a page that uses indicia coupled with OpenLayers to create a map of areas covered by surveyors. The squares are all locations in Indicia and the surveyor names are stored as text in location attributes. There's an admin page that allows the usual adding/updating/deleting etc. where you can see the sureveyor names but as this map is public I can only use 'Assigned' rather than the surveyor name, but I'm sure you get the idea. This should all work fine in IE9+, Firefox and Chrome, but earlier browsers such as IE8 that don't support SVG will really struggle with this number of polygon features.

http://surveys.ereca.org.uk/nesbrec/mammalatlas.aspx

Iain

Hi Iain

Very nice indeed. I wonder if you considered creating Indicia Users for your surveyors at this stage and storing their user ID rather than their name in text? To do that you would need their email - or have them register first - but it would alleviate the eternal problem of distinguishing one John Smith (or Hamish MacDonald) from another of the same name, or of variant spellings of the same name. Creating reports like "show me my records in my squares" would also be easier if locations and occurrences are all identified by the one ID.

The interface for adding of a user might then be an auto suggest text box offering suggestions from users associated with your site - possibly bringing up their photo like your attractive species selector. Ah, no, I think I have just imagined the person_images model.

Jim Bacon.

Hi Jim

Sounds like an excellent plan and a fairly simple solution would be for me to add a mandatory e-mail field on the admin page so it would be relatively simple for the co-ordinator to update this and the user magically transforms to a number behind the scenes - unless of course they already exist (or nearly exist) then it'd bring up the smiley, happy faces you suggest. And this would work equally for people who don't know they've registered (or dont know they've been registered) so things generally should work fairly smoothly and out of site...

Ta

Iain