Re: Species list from ruksack or recording card

I have created a ruksack from the Wales BSBI card. Is it possible to create a spp list from this showing Scientific name? I have tried to open the ruksack in notepad and it just shows Keys which I cannot work with. I just want the list of scientific names to be approved by the recorder.

Thanks

Janet

The rucksack generator also does some output of the contents of a Rucksack with taxon names etc.

http://forums.nbn.org.uk/uploads.php?file=ProjectRuck3.zip

To use for your purpose

1. Select Retain Original Keys from the first  window.Leave the rest as the defaults.

2. Change  the file type to .ruk and search for your rucksack

3. Choose a new output file name (doesn't matter for what you are doing)

4. New Rucksack will be generated plus a log file (csv file) with names etc. It is the first two columns of this log file which will give you what you need.

Mike Weideli

Have I missed something?

I just downloaded from the link above and tried to install the Rucksack generator addin in the usual way. When I select the .ocx file I get the message that "The selected file is not a COM server and cannot be registered"

After clicking OK on that dialog, another appears telling me that "The following addin has been sucessfully installed: ProjectRuck3"

These can't both be right.

I have checked and nothing has been added to the Tools menu, nor has anything been addins folder.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

I had this problem as well. Thought it was just my system. Needs to be investigated further. It worked for me by copying file to the addins folder of R6 and installing the addin from there. Have also checked a further addin and this had the same problem. For me copying the file to the addin folder worked in both cases, but I don't think this was necessary before.

Mike Weideli

Actually Mike that was the first thing I tried. When I try to install from the addins folder I get a dialog asking if I want to replace an existing addin of the same name. I clicked yes and was told that it could not be installed because it couldn't be copied to the addins folder, because it was already there. It also suggested that a copy may be running on another machine (but this is not the case)

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

John  has found a problem with the code in that the addin isn't being copied to the addins folder. However, while this explains my problem it doesn't explain  what you now decsribe.

Is the addin shown in the registry ?  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Dorset Software/Recorder 6/Installed Addins

Is it possible for you to try the system check tool at  http://forums.nbn.org.uk/uploads.php?file=RecorderSystemCheck%20v1.1.zip

This may give more information.

Mike Weideli

7 (edited by RobLarge 15-02-2012 14:56:38)

The answer is no, the addin doesn't appear in the registry at the location you describe. Searching the registry however, reveals at least two references to components of the addin in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT so it would appear that it has been partially installed. Although it occurs to me that this may have happened when I experimentally dropped the .ocx file onto RegSrvr32.exe, to see if it would register successfully (it did)

I have run the system check tool and it found two errors, but neither looks relevant, the reported text is below. Should I attempt to fix them?

Recorder 6 System Check Report

OK - Recorder installation detected
OK - Checking addin BulkLoad.Bulk load maps
OK - This addin is correctly installed.
OK - Checking addin DMAPServer.DMAP export
OK - Checking addin GoToKey.GoTo Key
OK - Checking addin LastKeyUpdate.Update Last Key
OK - Checking addin NBNExchange.NBN Exchange Format
OK - Checking addin ShowUnchecked.Display unchecked records
OK - Checking addin StdValLib.Recorder 6 Standard Validation
OK - The Standard Validation Library has been tested and supports the correct interfaces.
OK - The Recorder addin installer is correctly installed.
OK - The Recorder OLE Server is correctly installed.
OK - The Base Maps Path setting is set.
OK - The Map File Path setting is set.
OK - The Object Sheet File Path setting is set.
OK - The Base Maps Path exists.
OK - The Base Map Path setting includes the trailing slash.
OK - The Base Maps Path points to a folder containing base maps.
OK - The Map File Path exists.
OK - The Map File Path is writeable.
OK - The Map File Path setting includes the trailing slash.
OK - The Object Sheet File Path exists.
OK - The Object Sheet File Path is writeable.
OK - The Object Sheet File Path setting includes the trailing slash.
OK - Files in the Base Maps folder are writeable and can be upgraded as required.
OK - The local copy of the Base Map Path is writeable.
OK - The network Recorder installation folder contains a Base Maps directory.
OK - The Base Maps folder in the network installation folder contains base maps.
OK - The Base Maps path is pointing to the installation Base Maps folder.
OK - The Base Maps Path setting is pointing to a local folder.
OK - The Object Sheet File Path setting is pointing to a network folder.
OK - The Map File Path setting is pointing to a local folder.
OK - The Batch Update Path exists.
OK - The Batch Update Path setting includes the trailing slash.
OK - The Batch Update Path is writeable.
Error - The Dict Images Path registry setting points to a missing directory.
Click Attempt Fixes to try to fix this problem automatically.
OK - The DTD Path exists.
OK - The DTD Path setting includes the trailing slash.
OK - The Error Path exists.
OK - The Error Path setting includes the trailing slash.
OK - The Error Path is writeable.
Error - The Help Path registry setting points to a missing directory.
Click Attempt Fixes to try to fix this problem automatically.
OK - The Import Template Path exists.
OK - The Import Template Path setting includes the trailing slash.
OK - The Import Template Path is writeable.
OK - The Polygon Filter Path exists.
OK - The Polygon Filter Path setting includes the trailing slash.
OK - The Polygon Filter Path is writeable.
OK - The Recording Card Path exists.
OK - The Recording Card Path setting includes the trailing slash.
OK - The Recording Card Path is writeable.
OK - The Report Path exists.
OK - The Report Path setting includes the trailing slash.
OK - The Report Path is writeable.
OK - The Rucksack Path exists.
OK - The Rucksack Path setting includes the trailing slash.
OK - The Rucksack Path is writeable.
OK - The Snapshot Path exists.
OK - The Snapshot Path setting includes the trailing slash.
OK - The Snapshot Path is writeable.
2 error(s) were encountered during this check. Please review the details above.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Thank you for checking this. Don't  attempt any fixes for the moment.

Mike Weideli

Hi Rob,
When you got the dialog asking you if you wanted to replace the addin of the same name, are you absolutely sure you selected the addin from the Recorder 6\Addins folder in your installation, not from somewhere else? The code should not show this dialog unless the path you are installing from and the addin path are different. I'm assuming you are on 6.17?
Best wishes

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

10 (edited by RobLarge 15-02-2012 22:22:37)

John, I am absolutely certain that I am selecting the ocx file from the Recorder6/addins folder. If it attempt to install from any other folder (including a subfolder) I get the message about it not being a COM server.

And yes I am on the latest version

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Hmm, that's odd. One more thought - might you have used a different drive mapping or UNC path to get to the addin file to install, compared to the one in your registry? The registry setting is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Dorset Software\Recorder 6 - Addin Path. Ignore the Wow6432Node bit of the path if you are on a 32 bit Windows.

Thanks

John van Breda
Biodiverse IT

Ahah!

That did the trick the registry entry was held as \\wwtsql01\recorder6\Addins, I changed it to Z:\Addins and it now works fine. Might have known this would be at the root of it.

We have has no end of problems relating to the drive mapping. I think in some situations one method has worked while in others not.

Thanks John

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

The addin works a treat thanks.

I did find a tiny bug worth a mention though. On clicking the OK button, having forgotten to remove the TaxonName from the column name box (when using a single column text file with no column name) a dialog popped up which  just says "here". After I clicked OK the addin proceded to tell me what I had done wrong and worked fine once I had cleared the box.

I imagine it was put in as a reminder, so I am reminding you.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

Janet

Going back to your original question. The Rucksack Generator will do what you require, but you may find the report at  http://forums.nbn.org.uk/uploads.php?file=LCRucksackContent.xml  will do what you require.

Mike Weideli

Rob

Thanks. I will remove the 'Here' at the first opportunity.

Mike Weideli

16 (edited by RobLarge 17-02-2012 11:56:12)

Sorry Mike I have found a bug, I posted this in the Troubleshooting section earlier, but have moved here in light of more recent investigation.

I have noticed a rather odd behaviour, which doesn't seem to cause any problems, but is probably worth noting.

When creating a rucksack of taxa (using the rucksack generator), if I add a taxon for which I have previously added a common name (via Edit Taxon Details), for example genus level taxa such as Carex, which I have named 'A sedge", the item appears twice in the rucksack window. The same thing does not happen with genus-level taxa which I have not edited. I initially tried deleting one of the duplicates, but next time I opened the rucksack it had returned. I think if I delete both entries it stays deleted.

Clearly this is only an issue of what is actually displayed, since the rucksack cannot actually contain multiple copies of one TLIK (or maybe not?)

OK that was what i thought a while ago, but since then I have been adding a few items to the rucksacks I created with the tool and it would appear that when a rucksack is saved, the duplication becomes real.

That is to say that it becomes impossible to open the rucksack again. A dialog appears suggesting that the rucksack may have been deleted (which it has not). Opening the rucksack file in excel reveals that there are duplicate TLIKs there and that the taxa affected are only those for which I have added common names.

So it would seem there are two bugs here. One creates the duplication (I cannot tell if it is the tool or the rucksack window doing this) and another which allows the rucksack to be saved without checking for duplicate keys

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer

A little more detail which might be relevant. I now have at least one rucksack file which still has one or more duplicate keys in it. If I open the rucksack window and view a file without errors, then roll the wheel on my mouse, the rucksack selection dropdown scrolls through the list until it reaches the erroneous file. This is normal behaviour.

On reaching the faulty rucksack however I get the message "Unable to complete file operation. Please ensure the rucksack has not been deleted." Clicking OK on this dialog closes it, leaving me looking at a blank rucksack window with the name of the last correct rucksack before the one with the errors displayed at in the dropdown box. When I try to scroll away from this rucksack it asks me if I wish to save changes (although clearly I have made none). I have not attempted to save changes, because I suspect it will save an empty rucksack where currently there is data I do not wish to lose.

Rob Large
Wildlife Sites Officer