Re: Specimen: Number (see 2.4.10 SPECIMEN in Copp, 2004)

Defined as "Any number/text used by the recorder to identify the specimen", this field is only 10 characters long as implemented in Recorder 6 and this length is also restricted to 10 by the Import wizard.
It is not an adequate length for most purposes, for example if my specimens have a structure of "DPS.1992.nn" then I can only record 100 specimens in a year using this field.
I have spoken to Charles Copp and this was not what he intended for this field and in fact the underlying SQL database will take more characters.
Can we have this fixed please in both the main application and the Import routines.

In the light of a non-response to this subject and the imminent release of a new version, can I please have assurances that this error will be fixed in the new release.

Hi Darwyn

I will raise this as an incident with Dorset software and will let you know the outcome.

Kind regards,

Sarah

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

Sarah Shaw
Biodiversity Information Assistant
JNCC

I received the following message recently which illustrates the problem and supports the case for a longer field:

Another problem seems to have come up with Recorder as I am using it. Richard and I paid a visit to the herbarium specimens kept  at Barrow-on -Soar, to record details for the database. They have accession numbers, which I want to keep records of.
They vary, but here is one of the longer ones:- 867'1980-164. Twelve symbols, but when I enter it into Recorder, it docks off the last three. Can it be easily altered to allow more digits to be entered? This must be a common problem, as museum reference numbers are often long.

Tom Hering

The specimen number field, for the first time in Recorder, permits the recording of user's own unique specimen identifiers against a taxon occurrence. It will even accept non-specimens (append "Observation" to the "Specimen type" term list). I receive lots of records with such unique identifiers both as an LRC and as a National Recording scheme and these are fundamental to specimen-based verification.
The filter on a taxon occurrence shows only Taxon name, Determiner's surname, surveyor's reference and comment - it does not include Specimen number; can you add this to the list please when you amend the application's field length.
P.S. this is not the same as Surveyor's ref - as we would have nowhere then to store target notes and FilePlan identifiers

Hi Darwyn,

Whereas I don't have all the details, have you thought about looking into the collections module if you are regularly needing additional specimen information or referencing?

Cheers fer now, Rob.

I have a beta test version of the next release (v6.10) and the specimen number on the Specimens Tab on the taxon occurrence is 30 characters long in that. The Import wizard will import a specimen number of up to 30 characters long but if it is longer than that it is flagged as an error and I couldn't correct it. In the test I did I couldn't see the full number to edit it in the window where you specify the column types, even when I expanded the column. I will add this to my list of bugs for that version.

In her post on 13/02/07 Sarah Shaw says JNCC are planning to release this version later this month.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

Rob:
Thanks for that suggestion. I'm aware there are "super" versions of Recorder in the pipeline, Charles Copp of course is developing his collections-based version for Luxembourg. Just what stage everything is at is a mystery.
Perhaps those in the know could give us a detailed idea of all these developments - including availability.
Sally:
That's encouraging, I didn't get any response about my initial observations about this field so at least this increase to 30 is hopeful. I would point out that we need to be able to actually see all of this number, some of the boxes are rather short (e.g. Location's File Code) and there is really a huge amount of space available on the tabs. Is there any reason why these tabs couldn't be doubled in height to make key information more visible?
Surely a better method of having two applications open these days is, instead of vertically tiling Recorder with another application (which is presumably why these tabs are half-height), to get a modern graphics card and buy a second monitor.