Topic: Recommended recording of Camera Traps & Broods

Hello,

I've recently been sent some records with information I'd like to capture (without having to include it all as Taxon Occurrence Comments if possible) but that our system doesn't have qualifier/sample or record type options for. Was just wondering if anyone had standardised methods they were using to record the following, to keep things consistent with other systems?

- No. of broods and brood size. Young chicks etc aren't included in the total abundance count, but it would be useful to be able to record data on broods. I.e. if there were 2 females with a brood each, 5 chicks in one and 6 in the other, is it possible to record this? Adding a brood count of 2 with the brood sizes of 5 & 6 as separate counts for each means that only one brood size count is shown when you make a report.

- Species observations taken from Trip Cameras/Camera Traps. (Add a Sample or Record Type of 'Camera Trap' etc?)

It's possible that there are options already on Recorder that I've missed...

Thanks very much,

Chloe

Re: Recommended recording of Camera Traps & Broods

Hi Chloe

Why not make a separate measurement type (Productivity), add a measurement qualifier of 'Brood size' (clutch size could be done similarly) and the measurement unit is just 'count'. That way you can store that you had two broods of 2, 3 broods of 4 etc. separate to your abundance data.

MARK

Mark Pollitt
SWSEIC (formerly DGERC)

Re: Recommended recording of Camera Traps & Broods

Excellent, thank you for your help with this Mark. That sounds like a good solution.

Chloe