Topic: species designation list error

OK, I'm posting this here as I didn't get a response in the Species Dictionary section!

Just discovered that despite White-clawed Crayfish (and all the reptiles) having WACA-Sch5_sect9.1 in its list of designations, producing a report restricted to 'WACA-Sch5_sect9.1' (taking) & 'WACA-Sch5_sect9.1 (kill/injuring)' does not return ANY crayfish records despite there being over 500 records in our copy of Recorder

Recorder version 6.26.1.285
Dictionary version 0000003T
Database version 000000AW

Just done a search on the whole database restricted to 'WACA-Sch5_sect9.1' (taking) & 'WACA-Sch5_sect9.1 (kill/injuring)'  and the only species it found was water vole, there should have at least been common lizard and slow-worm!

It is worrying when we are producing reports based on these lists and they aren't correct!

Craig

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record

Re: species designation list error

Hi

I am am fairly confident that Recorder 6 reflects what is in the NHM Dictionary, but will double check.  There is some manipulation to get the recommended taxon list item keys, and sort orders, but in the main R6 reflects the NHM dictionary. Nothing is done to which would affect the designation. The maintennace of the designation is down to JNCC not the NHM, which is probably why you are not getting a response under dictionary issues.

Mike Weideli

Re: species designation list error

Hi Mike

My issue is that w-c crayfish is listed on "JNCC collation of taxon designations" on the WACA-Sch5_sect9.1 BUT if you use the 'restrict report to one or more designations' and choose the two WACA-Sch5_sect9.1 options then it returns nothing -  this looks like an error in the TAXON_DESIGNATION table.

I have done a little delving, and it appears that water vole is the only TAXON where the preferred Checklist is included in the INDEX_TAXON_DESIGNATION, for all other taxa, the only lists present appear to be the JNCC collation & 'Wildlife and Countryside Act (Schedule 5)' - I don't know if this is the problem, but it is suspicious, that for our data water vole is the only  section 9.1 species which is returned!

Craig

Craig Slawson
Staffordshire Ecological Record