1 (edited by stevemcbill 16-01-2017 11:41:38)

Topic: 502 Error When Opening Some Message Posts

Chris,

I don't know if anyone else has reported an issue with a fair number of the older posts on the UK Species Inventory / Dictionary Forum but I am getting a 502 error when attempting to open many posts on the system:

502 Bad Gateway
nginx

For example take a look at the post relating to New Toad Species - Bufo spinosus on Page 11 of the UK SI/D forum.

https://www.lifewire.com/http-status-codes-2625907

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk
www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/

Re: 502 Error When Opening Some Message Posts

I can't duplicate this. It may be because the Forum has moved to a new Server.  Try a refresh of the page.

Mike Weideli

Sorry Mike - it all seems very intermittent.  When I posted the message above the link given gave the 502 error every time and so did a number of messages which follow the one I posted.  However, the message I posted then also gave a 502 error and every message after that.  Now it has all cleared and, so far, no messages seem to be giving the error.  I have had these 502 errors come up for about the last fortnight.

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

I suspect it is something to do with the move to the new server. I did have backend access on the previous server, but not this one. If it persists then it is somthing the NBN will need to investigate.

Mike Weideli

5 (edited by stevemcbill 18-01-2017 16:52:42)

Just had the same 502 error again - this time when clicking the "3 Molluscs and a Worm Off Scotland" post on the first page of the Species Index/Dictionary Forum.

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

Hi Steve,

Thank you for reporting this issue.

Mike is correct in that the Forum has been moved to a new server and there was a very temporary issue yesterday when the NBN Forum and the NBN website were displaying a gateway issue for about 30 seconds.  I experienced this myself while on the NBN site.  This would be why the issue seemed to be intermittent.

However, we would like to trace the logs and in order to do this we need the URL that was being accessed and a date & time to trace the issue.  If there are any further reports of 502 errors please could you, or whoever receives them, include the URL that was being accessed along with the date and time?

We should then be able to resolve the issue.

Many thanks,
Mandy

Sure thing Mandy - will do !!

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

Mandy,

Today (Friday 20th January 2017) I was on page 8 of the UK Species Inventory / Dictionary Forum Group and clicked on the post "Diptera: Phalacrophora delageae" and it came of with a 502 error - the time was 13:52.

I then dropped back to Page 1 of the group and clicked on all of the post entries on the page in order, starting at the first/top one.  ALL gave 502 errors.  I then left the Forum until now (19:15) and tried all the same posts - all worked absolutely fine !!

Hoping the above might help in your tracking down the issue giving this problem.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

Hi Steve,

I'll feed this back to our web developers and see what they say.  Thanks for letting me know.

Regards,
Mandy

Mandy,

Today (25/01/2017) I clicked on the link for the post "New Hymenoptera - Braconidae" - http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=5848 - and received a 502 error - this was at 09:35am.   Dropping back to this post to enter this information also produced a 502 error.   I then waited until 12:58 when I was able to open this post without problems and to enter the above information.

Hope it helps.

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

11 (edited by stevemcbill 25-01-2017 16:49:58)

Again today (25/01/2017) but this time at 13:15 I clicked on the post "Missing Stilt Fly" on Page 27 of the Forum and received a 502 error - (http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?id=625).   Again, dropping back to the 1st page of Species Index postings any post I clicked on gave a 502 error and I had to wait until 16:46 (now) before I could post this information.

Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

Hi Steve,

Sorry for my slow response.  I did report this further issue on Monday, when I was back in the office, and then forgot to reply on here - apologies.

There doesn't seem to be any particular pattern to this or when / how it is happening and the error logs don't give us too much to go on.  The development team have made some behind the scene changes, but that was before your latest report of an issue.

I'm sorry if this causes inconvenience when browsing the Forum.  Please continue to keep me posted and we will endeavour to get to the bottom of it.

Many thanks,
Mandy

13 (edited by stevemcbill 01-02-2017 19:46:31)

Hi Mandy,

Many thanks for your response - sorry I haven't replied sooner but I'm afraid I was rushed into hospital at 4am yesterday (Tuesday) morning and after my heart stopping twice in Resus they fitted a permanent pacemaker.  Back home now, just, but if the error crops up again I will make sure to report it.

Cheers and take care.
Steve

Steve J. McWilliam
www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk