Topic: iRecord downloads & image urls

In order to deal with iRecord records I've chosen the "download" method. That is to say I use the download option in iRecord, obtaining csv files in batches at intervals based upon dates that the records were uploaded. Then file import into Recorder where occurrences are more easily organised and verified plus I have the data on my desktop for research purposes. This method works well for a small recording scheme (~300 records per year).
The photographs posted on iRecord are a bit of a problem. The url paths are in the csv and I've chosen to put them into the Taxon comments field (single string for several urls - so Sources isn't an option).
It is possible to copy those urls in order to paste them and retrieve the picture from the interweb but it is rather awkward. The comments box on the Dets. tab of a taxon is 1.5 lines in height. Can this field be increased in height substantially (bear in mind it may have to contain several urls); there is space, the majority of the tab is allocated to redets - I doubt anyone would do that job 25 times (and even if they did, presumably that list would scroll.)
P.S. The images seem to come through with all the metadata stripped out - have I just been unlucky or is this an iRecord thing?
P.P.S. A Recorder 6 download option in iRecord would have been nice too

Re: iRecord downloads & image urls

Have you tried the Indicia2Recorder addin for Recorder 6?

http://indicia-docs.readthedocs.io/en/l … order.html

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Thanks Charlie. That one passed me by. The Recording Schemes seem to be in a different loop.

I too would like a proper interface between iRecord and Recorder 6. Having taken a look at the Indicia2Recorder interface it allows records to be downloaded into Recorder 6, but it requires a lot of detailed configuration and detailed knowledge of the internals of both systems.
1) If you want to know the name of the recorder in Recorder 6, then you have to manually setup a mapping between their name in Recorder 6 with the iRecord ID. OK if only a few recorders, otherwise it is a nightmare to maintain, and a lot of work.
2) In order to map the attributes a configuration file is required. However, has anyone managed to find a listing of all the attributes that exist in iRecord, and those which used in each survey (as each survey can have a different set of attributes). And then you have to find the internal Recorder 6 key.

Given that there is only one configuration file, no idea whether it can be configured for the different Surveys in iRecord.
Any changes made in Recorder 6 (e.g. verification comments), cannot be reflected back to iRecord. Instead changes would have to be made in iRecord and then the records downloaded again.

Does a generic configuration file exist, or does everyone have to invent their own?

CSV files seem like far less effort and easier to manage, with mapping of field names with understandable names, and recorders matched automatically with entries in Recorder 6.

Harry Clarke
Surrey County Butterfly Recorder