Topic: Report Wizard Error

I've this morning updated to the latest dictionary. I've just tried to use the wizard to produce a report but it is now returning no species (http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=25365#p25365)

We are running R6 1.25.1.284
The Dictionary upgrade took a long time but reported success
I performed rebuilds; group, name, synonym then designation

Natural History & Biodiversity Data Enthusiast

Re: Report Wizard Error

Edit: After a bit of investigation the report works when no designation is set in the filter but reports nothing when a designation is selected.

Can you tell if there is anything in the Index_taxon_Deisgnation table.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike,

The table exists but seems to be blank...

Is the Observation hierarchy showing the species. If not let me know and I will advise further. If the obs hierarchy looks OK then try running Rebuild Designations again.

Mike Weideli

I've a number of critical reports that needed dealing with today so restored the database (which ran very smoothly, first time using it). I'll try to re-run the update and will post back if i have a repeat of the issue.

I should say i did try rebuilding the designations but that didn't resolve it. I didn't check the hierarchy however so i couldn't say if that was a problem.

Thanks. Rebuilding designation depends on Index_Taxon_Name  being populated, so  I expect if rebuilding designations didn't work the second time then it was because something was wrong with the building of Index_Taxon_name.

Mike Weideli

Morning Mike. Ran the upgrade again this morning and have encountered the same problem.

Index_Taxon_Designation is blank

INDEX_TAXON_NAME has been populated and the occurrence hierarchy appears to be working fine.

We do have at least one custom designation for local priority species. Its not previously been a problem but could this be causing the error this time?

Hi mike still having issues with this. Any suggestions?

Very strange.  If possible can you look in the Setting table and tell me what is in the TaxDesList setting.

Mike Weideli

12 (edited by BDeed 21-09-2016 14:25:44)

Cheers Mike,

TaxDesList     NHMSYS0020424779,NHMSYS0001749171,NHMSYS0001770825,NHMSYS0001770462,NBNSYS0000000008

This appears to be fine. You have one extra list in there, but testing here works with these settings.  Looking at the code it also uses Index_Taxon_Group. Is this populated  OK.

Mike Weideli

Sorry Mike, did you mean me to check these tables pre update or after i have attempted the dictionary update? The above is the pre update list. Once R6 is back out of use i'll attempt the update and post those results.

The population of Index_taxon_Designation isn't very complicated, so I am thinking the problem must be in one of the tables it uses. It uses various dictionary tables, but  I can't see how they could have been affected.  It uses the list from settings which looks Ok. Index_Taxon_Name which seems to be Ok as nothing much works without this. The other  one is Index_Taxon_Synonym, which needs checking to see if is populated after the dictionary upgrade index rebuild.

If all still seems Ok, then we will have to try running some diagnostic queries to work out just what is going wrong.

Mike Weideli

I have run the update again (Dictionary Upgrade Kit V).
To confirm the actual upgrade file contains;
0000003C.ini
0000003C.zip
0000003D.ini
0000003D.zip
0000003E.sql

Post upgrade the tables state;

TaxDesList = NHMSYS0020424779,NHMSYS0001749171,NHMSYS0001770825,NHMSYS0001770462,NBNSYS0000000008

Index_taxon_group - blank
Index_taxon_name - blank
Index_taxon_synonym - blank
Index_taxon_designation - blank

index_taxon_hierarchy - populated

A thought. I quite regularly encounter weird permissions problems with Windows 10.

Is it possible the upgrade tool is not connecting properly or connecting but unable to perform the update or would this throw an error?

18 (edited by BDeed 22-09-2016 11:38:32)

Mike, the database has now upgrade thanks to your comment about regarding Index_Taxon_Name "..nothing much works without this".

The only difference this time was that i rebuilt the taxon name first (i had been rebuilding group first as in my initial post).

Would it be possible to get the text on the JNCC website amended as it suggest rebuilding group first is ok so long as designations are done last.

Rebuild indexes

Once the upgrade has completed go to Tools - Database Tools in Recorder 6 and rebuild the taxon group, taxon name, taxon synonym and taxon designation indexes. Note that rebuilding the taxon designation index must be done last as it uses the other indexes. Depending on the power of your computer(s) and the speed of your network, where applicable, each rebuild may take 20 minutes to run. On slower systems they may take somewhat longer.

Instead it could read: rebuild the taxon name, taxon group, taxon synonym and taxon designation indexes. Note that rebuilding the taxon name index must be done first as it is used by all other indexes and taxon designation index must be done last as it uses the other indexes.

Certainly it should be changed. I will ask for it to be done. The rule is that the indexes should be built in the order they appear in Database tools.  Most important thing is that you are now Ok.

Mike Weideli

Thanks Mike and sorry for taking up your time on this.

No problem. I have submitted an updated version of the instructions for updating the dictionaties to JNCC. Hopefully, it will be on the web site for the next update.

Mike Weideli

The web site has now been updated with a general update of the instructions bringing them more up to date and making the point about the order of the rebuilds.

Mike Weideli

Thank you Mike.