Topic: Pholoe inornata sensu Petersen Johnston, 1839

Hi Chris

Just wanted to check this one with you - the NBN Gateway has Pholoe inornata sensu Petersen Johnston, 1839 (TVK NHMSYS0020234091) with the preferred name being Pholoe inornata Johnston, 1839 (TVK NBNSYS0000177150).

Is it correct that P. inornata sensu Petersen is being mapped to P. inornata Johnston, 1839?

I note that P. inornata sensu Petersen is marked as ill-formed.

If you say it is that's fine with me :)

The only reason I ask is that I can't seem to enter data against Pholoe inornata sensu Petersen in Recorder - I'm only given the option of Pholoe inornata Johnston, 1839

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Re: Pholoe inornata sensu Petersen Johnston, 1839

Hi Charlie

I'm not sure about that because I'm not an expert in worm taxonomy :D   I have looked on the WoRMS database, where the taxonomy we are using has come from and it doesn't mention the sensu Petersen anywhere. That name came in on an Environment Agency list and was probably linked to the Pholoe inornata a while ago. Even with my automated grouping of similar names, when the MSBIAS list came in, I would have skipped that name because it was a "sensu" and wouldn't have assumed that it was the same as the non-sensu. I can ask around the museum to see if we have an expert that could comment, if you like?

Best wishes,
Chris R.

Chris Raper, Manager of the UK Species Inventory, Angela Marmont Centre for UK Biodiversity,
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD.  (tel: 020 7942 5894)
also Tachinid Recording Scheme (http://tachinidae.org.uk/)

Re: Pholoe inornata sensu Petersen Johnston, 1839

If you could that would be great, thanks Chris :)

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership