Topic: Dictionary Upgrade and Recorder 6 Support

I  am aware that a the NHM have added a number of new species to the dictionary, but it seems a while since we had an R6 dictionary upgrade. I understand from elsewhere that JNCC support for R6 has been suspended. As someone who depends on R6 this is of concern. Can someone enlighten me as to what is going on.

Re: Dictionary Upgrade and Recorder 6 Support

I'd like to see a Dictionary Update such that the Coleoptera Preferred List accords with the latest Coleoptera British Checklist (Duff, 2012).....a lot of work for someone though

Bob Marsh
Doncaster LRC
Coleoptera recorder for YNU

I thought there was a post somewhere but can't find it - I think JNCC support has been renewed for this year; but possibly at a reduced rate. Don't think this should affect updating species though, just any major developments.

The last dictionary update was 6 months ago - so perhaps a month or two behind "normal".

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

The JNCC contract has been renewed (From 1 May). There is a reduction in the available funding, but funding still includes both support and development and is adequate.  There will be a dictionary upgrade shortly. JNCC have been revising the designations and are checking this at the moment. As soon as this is cleared there will be an R6 update. As far as the future is concerned, while JNCC has not committed to continuing support they have in no way ruled it out. The main thing is that Recorder 6 will run on the latest MS operating system and on the latest version of SQL Server (and I think on SQL Server 2016) so there is no reason to be concerned. It will be around for a long time yet.

Mike Weideli

Very good to hear, thanks Mike.

Purgle Linham
Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre