Topic: error with server

Hi

I installed R6 and SQL server 2008 R2 onto a windows 10 laptop.  All worked for the first couple of sessions then suddenly the following error message appeared when trying to open R6:

An error occurred whilst starting the application.
EOleException:[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen(Connect0).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

I have tried repairing QQL 2008 but the program says that there are no errors.  I also tried updating but it says that everything is there already.

I have already failed to upload the more recent SQL server (2012) which is why I reverted to 2008 in the first place.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Karen

Re: error with server

Is SQL Server running? You can check via Control Panel – System and Security – Administrative Tools – Services. If it is SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS2008) will be listed with Started as its Status. Its Startup Type should be Automatic. Ignore the other SQL Server entries. If it isn’t, try starting it by right clicking its Status and selecting Start.

Sally Rankin, JNCC Recorder Approved Expert
E-mail: s.rankin@btinternet.com
Telephone: 01491 578633
Mobile: 07941 207687

Hi

We have re-installed the server and done what you suggested and it says it is running.

We now have a new error message:
EOle|Exception: Cannot open database "NBNData" requested by the login. The login failed

Do you have any other suggestions?

This mesaage suggests that permissions have changed  since the installation of R6.  When you say 'you have reinstalled the server' what exactly did you do you have to do ? . Do you have Management Studio installed ?

Mike Weideli

We unistalled 2008 and then re-installed it.

As far as I know management studio is installed, but I will e-mail the person whose computer it is and check.

Karen

I think the reinstall has lost some of the settings. It might be pissible to fix without a R6 reinstall, but you will need to run some sql in Management Studio. First thing will be to ensurd that Nbndata is attached to the sql instance. This can be done just by connecting in Management Studio and checkihg that Nbndata is listed under databases.

Mike Weideli

Hi

I have been quiet for a couple of years because R6 has been doing everything I needed it to do. I am now working on producing my next bird report and have been let down. I am running R6 on a desktop with Win 7 and I have the following message when I try to start up:

EOleException:[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen(Connect0).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

I was using R6 only a few days ago without any problems so do not understand what has gone wrong in the meantime. I need access to the data for sorting out issues related to the report. Can anyone suggest what may have happened (so that I can try to avoid such a problem in future) and suggest how to fix it?

I very much look forward to hearing from you.

All the best, Ian

This could be because the Sql server service has stopped. This is usually because a MS upgrade has stopped it. I haven't seen it with Windows 7 before, but it seems a common problem with Windows 10.  You need to restart the service.  http://forums.nbn.org.uk/viewtopic.php?pid=24722#p24722 explains how for both Windows  7 and Windows 10.

Mike Weideli

Hi Mike

Many thanks for your reply. I found the Services and saw that there were four related to SQL Sever:

SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)   Status: Started
SQL Server Active Directory Helper    Status: Disabled
SQL Server Browser    Status: Started
SQL Server VSS Writer    Status: Started

Highlighting each in turn, there was a 'Restart' option at the top left of the screen for the first, third and fourth of these 'services'. Clicked 'Restart' for each and there was a brief working green bar. I could not change the status of the second service.

After doing this, R6 started!

Once again, many thanks for your invaluable assistance!

All the best, Ian