Topic: Delays caused by Transferring data from ajax.googleapis.com...

I have just denied fifteen enhanced access requests to someone that wanted data for Wales. (Users are still not using the geographic filters effectively, resulting in unwanted access requests. I had a load of requests for data for Anglesey recently too).

Anyway, that's not the reason for this posting. The denial process was made much more painful by the way each denial stalled at the "Transferring data from ajax.googleapis.com..." step, sometimes for over a minute for each denial.

A process that should have taken only seconds took about 10 minutes to complete. A complete waste of my time as they didn't want our data in the first place.

Keith

Re: Delays caused by Transferring data from ajax.googleapis.com...

I had built up a stack of unanswered requests over a couple of months precisely because of this issue of the process stalling and not having the time to sit and wait - I'd inevitably do something else whilst waiting and then not go back to the access request list.

I caught up with them all on Friday evening, because suddenly it was all processing fairly quickly, and I was thinking of coming on here to say thanks for solving the issue. So I assume it is an intermittent problem or perhaps rather an intermittent non-problem!

-----------------
Teresa Frost | Wetland Bird Survey National Organiser | BTO
Other hat  | National Forum for Biological Recording Council
(Old hats  | NBN Board, ALERC Board, CBDC, KMBRC)

In cases like this it would be more efficient to be able to respond to requests from the same person to all an organisation's datasets in one go, something I have fed back before.

-----------------

Seems to be working ok for me today. I must admit that I tend to ignore irrelevant requests, where the request is for an area that isn't covered or the metadata makes clear that the data would only be shared in particular circumstances.

Gordon Barker
Biological Survey Data Manager
National Trust

We too here in Cambridgeshire have the large number of academic and NRW wales data access requests...

Surely, there must be something which can be implemented to avoid us all spending ridiculous amounts of time dealing with these request which the data user doesn't actually need.

the grant/deny system seems to be OK at present........
I have taken to responding to one from the batch and just ignoring the others from the same user.

Louise, CPERC

Just curious - when you both say ignore, do you mean close (so they don't get an email)? Otherwise you'll end up with lots of requests that are still sitting in your Pending Access Requests list, which I'd find confusing and might also mean that you get called up as being against the T&Cs for supporter membership of the NBNT ("3.1.3. Applications made for better access to the dataset administrator must be responded to within two months of sending the request.")

-----------------

7 (edited by charliebarnes 14-08-2014 14:02:14)

I respond to all requests via email, the ones which don't respond to me, I leave open (but closing any "out of county" requests etc.)

Charlie Barnes
Information Officer
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership

Hi - I guess I mean closing - I figure the mistaken requester doesn't want 8 emails back saying its geographically irrelevant....but just one.....
but if we should respond to every single one, then that's a lot of copy-pasting to do.... and a lot of messages in their inboxes.... ah well, need to fill those final days in the office with something!

Louise